To top

Please tell me if this is considered art? and critique?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
rottenapples
New poster

Please tell me if this is considered art? and critique?

Postby rottenapples » Mon May 16, 2011 12:40 pm

i don't know if it would be considered art since i made it on microsoft word
Attachments
jk.jpg
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Re: Please tell me if this is considered art? and critique?

Postby Carson Collins » Mon May 16, 2011 2:43 pm

OK; it's a 2-part question.
Part 1, "Is it art?" There's no answer to that, because nobody has ever succeeded in defining the term. All definitions of the word "art" contain the logical fallacy known as "Begging the Question" (or petitio principii), in which an understanding of that which is being defined is somehow already assumed. E.g. this example from the World English Dictionary:
–noun
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

The reason that this fails to define art is that there are no universally agreed-upon aesthetic principles, nor is there any general agreement about what is, or is not, beautiful or significant.

Part 2, critique: I like it because of the message, because I happen to agree with it. I don't think it really matters how it was made. But with my opinion and 50 cents, you can make a local telephone call. :lol:
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Mon May 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I am not really sure if it can be classed as art as I don't know anything about it or your intentions for creating it or what is is supposed to represent.
Let me ask you first, What inspired you to create this or what were you thinking of when you were creating this?

So with the greatest respect, I have to take a neutral stance for now... :)
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
BlankCanvas76
New poster

Postby BlankCanvas76 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't know if it's because I'm currently studying a stage3 adv dip, where the content is really messing with my head, but I like this piece. (I call it a piece because I think it 'can' be considered art. for no other reason than I cant see why not?) Ironically a gun is also referred to as a 'piece'.
I'm not so appealed to the representational value it holds - but more the 'text as tone' aspect.
Also, interesting to note the piece is called JK. my immediate response was to think JFK, and also, Just Kidding. For me, that added value.
Thanks for posting :mrgreen:
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

It has been pretty well established around here that everything is art and everyone is an artist. (digital art certainly included)

I don't see anything to critique, but I love the message! :wink: :D
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Karly Monahan
Substantial poster

Postby Karly Monahan » Tue May 17, 2011 5:52 pm

I agree with Gary. I also think the interesting part of this message is not the current image itself, but the potential application of it. Where are you going to put it? It would make lovely graffiti.Graffiti as social activism has been very popular thanks to people like Banksy. Also, I think the draw of this image is that it is VERY simple, and VERY easy to be reproduced. I see this picture and I imagine hundreds of them.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 pm

Now , there's an idea. :idea: Have you thought of making multiple large prints of this and going the "Street Art" route with it? That would be cool.
MFrankly
Substantial poster

Postby MFrankly » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 am

You can certainly use text/writing to create art. Whether it was done on a particular computer program or not isn't really relevant. Google also: ASCII art.

For this work, however, I almost think it isn't art until you do something with it. For me, art implies 'artifact'. If there's no 'thing' at the end of the process, then the process has to be something that engages people - some have mentioned street art, stencils, etc. Reproduction suits it.

The gun is a little wimpy to me. It's just not as sophisticated as the flower. I would like the piece better if it followed the silhouette of an actual gun better, say a 9mm.

What would happen if you traced the silhouette of the image and hand-wrote the message? Would that break the piece or improve it?
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed May 18, 2011 11:09 am

MFrankly wrote:What would happen if you traced the silhouette of the image and hand-wrote the message? Would that break the piece or improve it?

Personally, I think that would Destroy everything about it! I was totally unimpressed until my curiosity got the best of me and I had to enlarge and read. It has a big impact that way. I think your suggestion (presented as a question) would reduce it to about a 2nd grade level.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Wed May 18, 2011 11:36 am

At first this didn't seem all that interesting (no disrespect friend) until like Gary, I zoomed in on it and was pleasantly surprised by the message. The gun, the flower coming out of the gun barrel and the message make this a great little piece of artwork.
Just goes to show that with some art, not everything is as it seems at first glance. :D
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.

Return to “Art critique”