To top

Can You Guys Please Critique My Ocean Painting?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
MorganCerese
Substantial poster

Can You Guys Please Critique My Ocean Painting?

Postby MorganCerese » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi everyone! I just uploaded a new piece called "Lost At Sea" and I would really appreciate if some of you can critique it. I love constructive criticism because I know it helps me get better. :D

For those who didn't see my introduction in some of the threads here, my name is Morgan. I'm 16 years old and I'm a graduating senior (June 9th feels so close!). I started drawing about two years ago (self taught until this year) and I just started learning how to paint with watercolor and acrylic in art class.

This was done with acrylic paint on an 8"x10" canvas. It's my first time actually painting on canvas. In class we usually do it on a heavier paper since my school cant afford canvas. I decided to just buy some canvas on sale at Michaels :mrgreen:
Attachments
photo (4) - Copy.JPG
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Re: Can You Guys Please Critique My Ocean Painting?

Postby alanminshull » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:57 am

Hi Morgan:)
What does it feel like to you starting out in watercolors and acrylics? It must be a new adventure and your mind must be working overtime now with ideas ha ha :) I hope the classes are going well, but on to your sea scape.
Well, all the basic elements are there Morgan, the colors, the distance (perspective) and a feeling of space. Im not quite sure what kind of style if any (realism, impressionist) you are going for yet or you enjoy painting, but I guess here you are trying for impressionism, which is your idea of the sea through your own eyes rather than as close to the picture or scene that you are painting.
All I would suggest is making your clouds a little more relaxed and loose, paint the top portion of the clouds crisp and blend away the bottom of them with the edge of a large brush by pulling diagonally downwards. This gives them a wonderful realistic appearance.

Your sea needs just a little more work, some highlights and definition here and there to suggest movement, and it looks like the nearest part of the scene (bottom) has some movement going on. Just a little more definition there too my friend. Use some pale white if its still quite far away, to suggest waves, make these smaller as you go into the distance until they fade out half way up your picture.

All in all though, this is a fantastic start to what can be a wonderful sea scape and does indeed convey the feeling of being lost amidst the massive blue featureless sea...

Top marks :)
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:06 am

Morgan,
It seems to me to be a fair "setting" or "background" for something. So now it needs that "something". :wink:
Hope that helps.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

Postby Attila Levai » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 am

It seems to be a good start. I personally like the clouds and also the whole feel to it. Just keep working on it some more, as above said about the details and possibly a more defined subject.

LA
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Lévai Attila wrote: I personally like the clouds

I have to say I like them as well, Levai.

Over the past 43 years (give or take a few months) I've always made it a point (being a painter) to notice the sky everywhere I went and in all kinds of weather. I have seen so many different cloud formations that I finally came to the conclusion (a personal one, of course) that no matter what one might "splash" onto a canvas and 'intend' it to be a cloud, one could never actually be "wrong".

Certainly there are clouds on a continuum of 'attractiveness' that may or may not contribute positively to a painting, but I happen to like these. :wink:
(nothing personal here, Alan, my Friend) :D

I hope this helps, Morgan.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
MorganCerese
Substantial poster

Postby MorganCerese » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:07 pm

Thanks everyone. All of your comments are helpful. I like being critiqued by artists since every time I show a non-artist something they only say that it looks nice. :roll:

alanminshull wrote:Hi Morgan:)
What does it feel like to you starting out in watercolors and acrylics? It must be a new adventure and your mind must be working overtime now with ideas ha ha :)

:D My mind is working overtime now that I know how to work in both watercolors and acrylics. I'll definitely have some fun this summer with paint.

Gary Dee wrote:Morgan,
It seems to me to be a fair "setting" or "background" for something. So now it needs that "something". :wink:
Hope that helps.

Someone on DeviantArt.com told me I should do a silhouette of a boat in the distance. I don't know if I'll do that yet since I'm afraid of messing up the painting :lol:

Lévai Attila wrote:It seems to be a good start. I personally like the clouds and also the whole feel to it.

I love the way I did the clouds too. It's my favorite aspect of the painting :)
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:30 am

Gary Dee wrote:
Lévai Attila wrote: I personally like the clouds

I have to say I like them as well, Levai.

Over the past 43 years (give or take a few months) I've always made it a point (being a painter) to notice the sky everywhere I went and in all kinds of weather. I have seen so many different cloud formations that I finally came to the conclusion (a personal one, of course) that no matter what one might "splash" onto a canvas and 'intend' it to be a cloud, one could never actually be "wrong".

Certainly there are clouds on a continuum of 'attractiveness' that may or may not contribute positively to a painting, but I happen to like these. :wink:
(nothing personal here, Alan, my Friend) :D

I hope this helps, Morgan.

Thats alright Gary, yeah clouds take on all shapes really:)
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 am

alanminshull wrote:Thats alright Gary, yeah clouds take on all shapes really:)

This not aimed at you, Alan, just an example. :D
fingercloud.jpg
fingercloud.jpg (18.11 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Gary Dee wrote:

fingercloud.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now thats funny hahah Nature havin a laugh LOL
MorganCerese
Substantial poster

Postby MorganCerese » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Gary Dee wrote:

fingercloud.jpg

If i ever saw that I'll probably die laughing, Everybody else would be like "what happened?" until I point it out! :lol:

Return to “Art critique”