To top

a portrait

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

a portrait

Postby Attila Levai » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi all,

This is one of my latest works. It portraits my father-in-law and it is done with pencil.

What do you think?

's portrait.jpg
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.
SandraJean
New poster

Re: a portrait

Postby SandraJean » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I greatly admire your ability to capture such beautiful detail, lighting and depth in this portrait sketch, Levai. I've tried sketching before and failed miserably, definitely not my forte.

I look forward to viewing your other pieces.

Sandra Jean
RKB-arts
Substantial poster

Postby RKB-arts » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Levai,
Very nice drawing. My favorite part is the work around the mouth and the lips. My only thought would be for a little more contrast in some of the facial areas to give more emphasis and to put different features in front of others, kind like what you did with the dark areas where the neck goes into the collar. Right now the area of most contrast, the collar in the lower right, for me draws to much of my attention . With that being said maybe your intention was to draw a serene and introspective portrait of your father-in-la, if that is what you were going for then I think you did that very nicely. If that is the case then my comments might not apply . I hope this was helpful to you in some way. Good job my friend
Susana Correa Llobet
Substantial poster

Postby Susana Correa Llobet » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Great work!
papajohni
New poster

Postby papajohni » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:22 am

Really dear you are expert in painting and this is your great work,i really impressed.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:21 pm

wow very well done for what looks to be just line marks great work.
tealblaze01
Substantial poster

Postby tealblaze01 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:38 pm

I agree with RKB-Arts all the way it is an excellent drawing but the collar draws my attention to that when you have done such a wonderful job on the face. Either emphasize the face by darkening it all over some as dark as the collar others lighter and maybe some others even as light as they are now. Play with it a little, and see what satisfies you.
Really great work though ,dont let the collar take away from the main subject.
Tammy Arne
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

Postby Attila Levai » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Thank you guys, all of you.

Yeah, I get it about the collar. Well the portrait is hanged already in a frame at my in-law's and I won't be around it for a good while now. But I can think about those points for future drawings.

LA
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.

Return to “Art critique”