To top

Art buy HuggertwO

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Huggertwo1
Postaholic

Art buy HuggertwO

Postby Huggertwo1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:40 pm

353461770.251639.jpg
Acrylic on canvas
Comments?
If you are going to do something do it right or don't do it at all.
http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/index.php?cat=32940
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Re: Art buy HuggertwO

Postby MiChelleAngella » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:16 pm

I love this abstract, the colors, the form.. it's all good.
[I think though if you would do a similar one, and instead of making the border/frame red, try it in white or black.. ]
What size is it? and do you use matt varnish?
Huggertwo1
Postaholic

Postby Huggertwo1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Great idea about more plain color for frame. What happened was I had about eight pieces professionally framed. When I was picking out the colors I think I was trying to carry the colors over into the frame. However I can see maybe doing one here the frame isn't part of the art. I think this one is 24x28 inches. It is stretched canvas acrylic paint and a clear coat.

Do you ever put glass over a piece when you frm it?

Thanks for taking the time to stop and look and comment that was very nice of you and I greatly appreciate it. :D
Sincerely
Timothy S. McLaughlin
Aka huggertwo
If you are going to do something do it right or don't do it at all.
http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/index.php?cat=32940
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Huggertwo1 wrote:Do you ever put glass over a piece when you frm it?

I frame with no glass..
When I paint on canvas, I use the gallery wrap mostly [with the wooden cradle at the back] so I don't need to frame those, and I sometimes continue the painting over the edge, or paint it white. If it's a canvas board, then I frame without glass.
[and for gessobords, I treat it the same as canvas.. frame without glass, or use a cradled board which needs no framing.
I sometimes varnish with satin, instead of matt, but I prefer the gloss varnish most of all, it makes the colors more vibrant.
Damussman
Substantial poster

Postby Damussman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Very Nice! I really like the color scheme here and yet it still looks like a design as well. Very cool and I like the gallery you have going on as well. :D
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am

I love the contrast between the colors and the over all movement to it. great job.

Just one though is something i learned in a graphics class in collage, so i dont know if it relates to paintings is when using red on blue or vis-verse it can have a tendency to cause an illusion of vibrations in the eye.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Shaun Kennedy wrote:i learned in a graphics class in collage, so i dont know if it relates to paintings is when using red on blue or vis-verse it can have a tendency to cause an illusion of vibrations in the eye.

That is so true.. [everytime I start a painting using only blues & red combination, my eyes go crazy and I feel as if i'm about to have a seizure when I look at it.] -
It doesn't show that way on screen though
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:17 pm

love it!! The colors (esp the red and blue) vibrate against each other but in a way that I think works well. I love the soft almost spray-painted look of it. I agree with the idea of using a different color frame but that's the only thing I would critique on. I think it's wonderful. Great job!
Tom
Substantial poster

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:32 am

I like to look at this. I get a sense of a layering. I find myself engaged in eye travel and looking again and seeing more. I enjoyed your painting. Thanks for sharing. I only have this to offer. I use hairspray, sometimes with a light brushing of linseed oil, or in various combinations with shellac for a finish. This would all depend on my mood when I look at what I have done. Good stuff.
Lisa Lappi
Passionate poster

Postby Lisa Lappi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:31 pm

TOTALLY dig'n this :) love it!

Return to “Art critique”