To top

I want you...to

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
jack scott
Substantial poster

I want you...to

Postby jack scott » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 am

the finding of a strange door copy for posting.jpg
critique my piece for me if you would be so kind to spend your valuable time. This is a sketch, so I'm interested in being critiqued on the imagery and composition. I'm also interested in any thoughts on how I might describe my work (keywords). Thank you for your interest, its highly valued.
" It's only when you are able to free your mind can you hope to expose your soul." Jack Scott
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: I want you...to

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am

Interesting. I would have to see some color before I would perhaps attempt a critique. :D
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks Gary, yeah, I think your right, I do need to paint this I think. My problem is that I struggle with painting. I've always dealt with a fear of failure with it and until this year i've never painted anything before. I haven't tried to take one of my drawings to paint yet, so I'm thinking this might be the first. Thanks much for the advice
" It's only when you are able to free your mind can you hope to expose your soul." Jack Scott
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks Gary, yeah, i know your right. i do need to think about painting this, i never painted before this year and i get frustrated with it, it's something I'm struggling with. I'm gathering a collection of unfinished pieces. The funny thing is that I haven't attempted to take one of these drawings to paint yet so i'm thinking this might be the one. Thanks, for the feedback, I appreciate it.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 am

Jack. The most intimidating thing I have ever faced in my life was my first blank canvas. I sat and stared at it until I finished my 3rd beer. My inhibitions faded and I was able to proceed. I'd try to give you some better advice but that is the simple truth. :lol: Image
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Johanna Ray
New poster

Postby Johanna Ray » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:33 am

I think this is great! Very imaginative. One word to describe this style might be "imaginary" or "impressionistic". Perhaps if you wanted color as you've mentioned, maybe the use of colored pencils would help add depth until you get the color scheme you want and become more comfortable with color placement. With a piece like this, color is going to be everything in making this piece pop in a new way. I wouldn't color this piece but create a new piece that you plan to do in color and or try your hand at painting. If painting makes you nervous, the colored pencil, or even pastels are a great place to start. I hope this helps!
ericmeikle
Extreme poster

Postby ericmeikle » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:13 am

Hi ! I think this is a great drawing. Personally I use oil colours and this piece is screaming for colour. Its great composition and I just feel that colour would give it so much more. Be bold my friend and go for it. Maybe start with your background fading from White on the horizon to a dark blue at the top a bit like this.
026 (498x640).jpg

Then sit back and let the other colours come to you. Main thing is relax and enjoy . Good luck. E.
Eric Meikle

Commisions welcomed
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Postby Emily Read » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:48 am

I think this is amazing. It has a great cubist/surrealistic feel to it.

As for the painting part, just go for it. Don't fear mistakes, mistakes are good, it's how we learn and improve as artists. Of course, as Gary said, having a few beers might not be a bad idea. Haha.
acsunda
Postaholic

Postby acsunda » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:00 pm

I dig the cubist feel. Nice work!
"Art is either plagiarism or revolution" -Paul Gauguin
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi guys, thanks so much for the feedback, it's really a huge help. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, I have a family member who is very ill and it's been a little rough lately. I ended up working on a new drawing just to relieve myself of the stress I've been feeling. It's titled "The world according to Jack".
Anyways I'm working on getting past this issue I seem to have every time I think of painting. I don't think the three beers is enough Gary so I'm upping it to two bottles of wine tonight so we'll see what happens. I love the colored pencil idea Johanna, I think it would really help with the color composition and give me an idea as to where I want to go. I would love to try working in oils, but I haven't worked since my accident and it's just more than what I can do right now but I'm good with that, I've got acrylics. I appreciate the heads up on the horizon issue. You guys are right on that I need to remember to relax, enjoy it, let it come however it comes, I really needed to hear that. Thank you. I didn't even notice the cubist tendencies that I seem to have in much of my work. Thank you so much for pointing that out. I'll let you know how I do.
Attachments
The world according to Jack_posting copy.jpg

Return to “Art critique”