Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

New here! Please help!

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Erin Schopke
New poster

New here! Please help!

Postby Erin Schopke » Fri May 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey, I just joined this community today and uploaded a couple of my recent studies. Please take a look at my albums and comment honestly and constructively. General advice is also appreciated. Thanks a bunch!!! Here's my most recent work, in the album Helplessness Blues.

N.B. I plan on measuring the dimensions of my paper works this weekend.
Attachments
Flaky.JPG
Erin Schopke
New poster

Re: New here! Please help!

Postby Erin Schopke » Fri May 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Pretty please? I just graduated and want feedback on my work as I'm transitioning into having to make time for my work. All of these were for class.
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Re: New here! Please help!

Postby Emily Read » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:05 am

I'm assuming "helplessness blues" is a Fleet Foxes reference? That's one of my favourite songs by them.

I think the composition of Dragonfly 5 is quite strong, along with most of your other works. I like the abnormal dimensions that you are using. You monochromatic pieces are great. I think your strongest works have a varied amount of texture from thick lines to fuzzy imprints.

I would maybe experiment with adding hints of colour to pieces. I used to make works that were very monochromatic without realizing it. One of my art teachers told me to experiment with adding in different colours. I find that I have a greater range of colours, even if it is just subtle. Not to say to stop making white and black drawings, they have a merit in themselves.

I finished school a couple years ago, and I wish I found this forum right after I graduated. The transition from art school to not being in art school is difficult. You lose that community and usually you lose some motivation. This website is a great way to have an art community again and to get some motivation back.

Return to “Art critique”