To top

Two new 'floating heads' paintings

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Two new 'floating heads' paintings

Postby Emily Read » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I have finished two new watercolour paintings to continue on my series (which I still don't have a name for). I'd love to hear honestly what everyone thinks. I really value other artist's feedback!

All the best,
Emily
Attachments
portrait 1.small.jpg
portrait.feathers.small.jpg
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Re: Two new 'floating heads' paintings

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:55 am

WOW ! These are exquisite! The translucent veils, they could almost be seasonal archetypes
The unique faces have a sculptural quality I really love these!
Congrats!
Lorena
kah wah tan
Passionate poster

Postby kah wah tan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:09 am

Yes...exquisite is the appropriate word...
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Postby Emily Read » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am

Lorena Shiffer wrote:WOW ! These are exquisite! The translucent veils, they could almost be seasonal archetypes
The unique faces have a sculptural quality I really love these!
Congrats!
Lorena

Thanks so much! I really appreciate the support, especially as I continue on with the series.
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Postby Emily Read » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 am

kah wah tan wrote:Yes...exquisite is the appropriate word...

Thanks Kah Wah Tan! It means a lot :)
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:05 pm

first of all I want to say is I think the way you paint your faces is fantastic,wonderful detail and wonderful color. very well done, I really enjoy your work. Ok with that said, I would like to give you some feed back that I hope helps, I'll address the first piece that you posted and keep in mind that I'm just giving you my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I feel like the face itself is to far off in the upper left quadrant of the piece and you are letting the work fade off way to early in the bottom quadrants. I feel that my sight being drawn first to the darkest area of the work, witch is the scarf area under the chin. perhaps the face could have been left brighter. Also the body in the bottom quads could have been left a bit wider and some more depth and detail added especially in the shoulder area in the bottom left quad before you faded the color off. Ok, now for the second piece you posted, I love this composition way more. The work you did in the face and hair is amazing, really striking and beautiful, but again the bottom quadrants I feel were left weak compared to the rest of the piece, and I'm not saying that it needs filled up with detail but it could have used something more to give it a better feel. the proportions of the shoulders and body look right, it's just looks like the work in the bottom quadrants were faded off too early and gives it more of a sketch book look that leaves the piece looking unfinished in the bottom quads. Like I said I'm just giving my opinion and it's meant to be constructive, I took a look at your gallery and you are a very talented artist, I really love your work, so don't take my opinion the wrong way, I'm just trying to give you some insight on what I see and I do love the floating head thing you're doing. I hope it helps.
" It's only when you are able to free your mind can you hope to expose your soul." Jack Scott
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Postby Emily Read » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 pm

jack scott wrote:first of all I want to say is I think the way you paint your faces is fantastic,wonderful detail and wonderful color. very well done, I really enjoy your work. Ok with that said, I would like to give you some feed back that I hope helps, I'll address the first piece that you posted and keep in mind that I'm just giving you my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I feel like the face itself is to far off in the upper left quadrant of the piece and you are letting the work fade off way to early in the bottom quadrants. I feel that my sight being drawn first to the darkest area of the work, witch is the scarf area under the chin. perhaps the face could have been left brighter. Also the body in the bottom quads could have been left a bit wider and some more depth and detail added especially in the shoulder area in the bottom left quad before you faded the color off. Ok, now for the second piece you posted, I love this composition way more. The work you did in the face and hair is amazing, really striking and beautiful, but again the bottom quadrants I feel were left weak compared to the rest of the piece, and I'm not saying that it needs filled up with detail but it could have used something more to give it a better feel. the proportions of the shoulders and body look right, it's just looks like the work in the bottom quadrants were faded off too early and gives it more of a sketch book look that leaves the piece looking unfinished in the bottom quads. Like I said I'm just giving my opinion and it's meant to be constructive, I took a look at your gallery and you are a very talented artist, I really love your work, so don't take my opinion the wrong way, I'm just trying to give you some insight on what I see and I do love the floating head thing you're doing. I hope it helps.

Thanks so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate the constructive criticism and the compliments. I agree with what you said, something I realized myself. I actually struggled with the blue one trying to figure out what to do with the bottom section. The new ones I'm focusing on creating a smoother transition from the face to the abstract sections. Your advice does help a lot and I really appreciate it :)
James Bryan
New poster

Postby James Bryan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Well the only thing I can say is that for encouragement I have just ordered one of the heads. keep up the good work . I look forwards in anticipation of receiving it.
jamesbryan.nobullart.com
Emily Read
Passionate poster

Postby Emily Read » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:19 pm

James Bryan wrote:Well the only thing I can say is that for encouragement I have just ordered one of the heads. keep up the good work . I look forwards in anticipation of receiving it.
jamesbryan.nobullart.com

Thanks James! I greatly appreciate it! It definitely helps keep me motivated while making my latest works from this series. I hope you enjoy your print :)
koogz
Substantial poster

Postby koogz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Emily Read wrote:Hi everyone,

I have finished two new watercolour paintings to continue on my series (which I still don't have a name for). I'd love to hear honestly what everyone thinks. I really value other artist's feedback!

All the best,
Emily

I am in love with them, and cannot wait until you create more.
I'm a fan!!!
All my best,
koogz

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
- Pablo Picasso

http://www.koogz.net
http://instagram.com/koogz_
http://facebook.com/artofkoogz
http://twitter.com/zkoogz

Return to “Art critique”