To top

newbie looking for cold hard truth

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
louieVT
New poster

newbie looking for cold hard truth

Postby louieVT » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 pm

i never had my art critique before...and i just wanna know if im any good or if i should pursuit something else i love art but it just takes so much time from my day and nothing to show for.
say what must be said i need real critique...plz and thanks =D

This is a portrait of myself..
it was done with a B2P 0.7 bottle 2 pen on white paper
Attachments
scan 17.jpg
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: newbie looking for cold hard truth

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm

louieVT wrote:i love art

There's your answer. This piece shows your passion, and that's more important than technical skills. Those can be learned and honed just like most things, made easier with an eagerness and desire. And nothing to show for it? What did you just post?
dwmcholland
Substantial poster

Postby dwmcholland » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:56 pm

First, good (no...VERY good) start! Keep doing what you're doing and take any critique as "my" opinion. Your opinion far outweighs anything I might suggest. That said, I like the details throughout the piece but would have liked to see that same attention applied to the hair. I'd also take a look at the composition of the piece in general. Right now it's very straight forward and placed dead center. Maybe consider a more dramatic angle or placement of the subject. That's my two cents worth of critique. Again, good job and keep on doing what you're doing!
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 pm

You want the cold hard truth eh. The thing about opinions is that everyone has one you know. I can see why your work takes up so much of your time, it is a very beautifully intense piece. For a newbie you are doing some amazing work, I wish these forms would allow for a larger file just so others could see all the subliminal work you put into this piece, very well done. I would like to see more of what you've done.
I also love art and I love creating art, due to things in that happen to people in life I left it for nearly 25 years but I've been given a second chance at doing the thing I've always loved doing in my life and that is drawing and painting and creating images that no one else ever has before. I am very grateful to be given another opportunity to pursue what I love to do. As far as selling your work I suggest you search the forums for help as I have someone helping me with getting started with that end of things. All I can tell you here is that you must have exposure so others can see your work. Set up a gallery here is a first step because it costs nothing. So to answer your questions, yes you are good at it and you answered the other one yourself.....you love it. :D
" It's only when you are able to free your mind can you hope to expose your soul." Jack Scott
koogz
Substantial poster

Postby koogz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 pm

louieVT wrote:i never had my art critique before...and i just wanna know if im any good or if i should pursuit something else i love art but it just takes so much time from my day and nothing to show for.
say what must be said i need real critique...plz and thanks =D

This is a portrait of myself..
it was done with a B2P 0.7 bottle 2 pen on white paper

This piece is intense. There is so much to it, I cannot seem to focus at first, but your negative space in the face, allows an almost calming affect to balance out the outside turmoil. I am getting a sense that part of your face being blended into the background either means that you are being drawn into the turmoil or are escaping it. Either way, I am fascinated at the prospect.

If you love what you do, then time has no meaning or matter. One can love working on cars, and in that case, how is their time better spent than yours? You are gifted, and should pursue your love, and if that is art, it would be horrible if you did not do so.

All my best to you! I love it.
All my best,
koogz

"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
- Pablo Picasso

http://www.koogz.net
http://instagram.com/koogz_
http://facebook.com/artofkoogz
http://twitter.com/zkoogz

Return to “Art critique”