How do you feel about DALL-E and other AI image generators?

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
User avatar
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:5227
Joined:Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:32 am  

As a graphic designer and sometimes photographer, I have mixed feelings about the speed at which AI creators are moving. On the one hand, they're objectively amazing, and just getting started. On the other hand, when an AI can produce images, audio and video on the fly that eventually may satisfy an audience to the same degree (or more) as a human - what does that mean for us?

Not only that, will it erode trust in sources of information if they're not firsthand experiences?

Here are some images I made with DALL-E and their prompts:

dalle-1.jpg

A 1950s robot watering the lawn in the suburbs, photograph


dalle-2.jpg

A planet in space covered in a lush green tropical forest and purple ocean


dalle-3.jpg

A surrealist painting of an artist painting herself, impasto


dalle-4.jpg

Colorful solar system made out of candy, playdough


dalle-5.jpg

Medieval knight watching a fireworks show, digital art

LorinneLewis
New poster
New poster
Posts:1
Joined:Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:22 am  

art is art. no matter what it is. AI is kind of cute <3

User avatar
sunhawk
New poster
New poster
Posts:1
Joined:Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:24 am

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:18 am  

As long as it's clearly labelled/tagged as generated by AI, I've got no problem with having those images in art spaces though I would argue it's not really any different from going through a stock image website and reposting the image you like best and claiming it as your own. The act of curating found objects can be artistic but usually there is some effort to develop a concept linked to those objects rather than suggest they made those objects. I think people who enjoy generating AI art with these programs should strive to be honest about their role in the process.

User avatar
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:5227
Joined:Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:36 am  

sunhawk wrote:As long as it's clearly labelled/tagged as generated by AI, I've got no problem with having those images in art spaces though I would argue it's not really any different from going through a stock image website and reposting the image you like best and claiming it as your own. The act of curating found objects can be artistic but usually there is some effort to develop a concept linked to those objects rather than suggest they made those objects. I think people who enjoy generating AI art with these programs should strive to be honest about their role in the process.

I like your framing of it as a collection of found objects - that's a good way to think about it. Totally agree about being upfront and open about the tools and sources used, also. In fact, it makes things much more interesting, especially if someone behind the scenes had influence on the final creation, whether that be a well-chosen text prompt or other input, the learning data, the AI software itself, etc. Simply running someone else's algorithm with little thought put into it (what I did) is interesting while it's novel, but quickly becomes mundane and, ironically, derivative.

User avatar
Bill Hewes
Passionate poster
Passionate poster
Posts:112
Joined:Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:30 pm  

I haven't been on the site for a while, but before I left I noticed the site being flooded with digital art. It's like come on enough is enough. I think it should have its own category. Then the creators can flood that category all they want. I can create and digital image and then fool around with the settings and have a huge number of images to post based on that image alone and that's kind of what I was seeing. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

User avatar
BogStandad
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:710
Joined:Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 am

Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:32 pm  

“good artists borrow, great artists steal.”

Interesting because I have been using AI constructed visuals to feed my need, ha, ha.

The Interstellar Steam Train Captain, is one iteration.

Image

Am I turning it right on it's head because I am using AI assemblages to inspire my own ideas, I been doing this since?

I come from the all art is quite useless club, I like doing it, so i do, anything else just isn't cricket as they say.

It might be great, it might be good, it might be exceptional but if it's not in the quite useless club it's not art.
It is all those things already mentioned, good, great, exceptional, I think that's part of the ownership club.

Anyway AI assemblage is just a way of generating ideas, a resource of assemblage.

Here's another echo of the AI inspired Interstellar Steam Train Captain.

Image

User avatar
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:5227
Joined:Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:15 pm  

BogStandad wrote:Interesting because I have been using AI constructed visuals to feed my need, ha, ha.

And is that any different from using human constructed visuals? In this case most certainly humans were mined for the AI constructed visuals.

User avatar
BogStandad
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:710
Joined:Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:56 am

Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:00 am  

bloodjelly wrote:
BogStandad wrote:Interesting because I have been using AI constructed visuals to feed my need, ha, ha.

And is that any different from using human constructed visuals? In this case most certainly humans were mined for the AI constructed visuals.


No Not really it is just an easier way of feeding my greed.

User avatar
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:5227
Joined:Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:53 pm  

An interesting email discussion I had to add more color to the conversation:

I would like my account permanently deleted, please, as I have no interest in supporting a site that allows AI-generated "art" to be sold here. 100% of such content is stolen from other creators.


To which I replied:

Hi -

Thanks for your feedback. I wish it were that cut and dry, but unfortunately it's a lot more complicated.

- An artist can train an AI on only their art - plagiarizing only themselves
- An artist could produce something with AI then modify it heavily
- AI is already to the point where many images are indistinguishable from something human made. So then, who decides whether any particular piece was made by an AI if it's categorized by the uploader as something else?
- Wouldn't magazine collages be included in "100% of such content is stolen from other creators." Ban them too?

That's just a few complications out of many more.

Anyway, I do understand and actually share much of your concern. Just reply back with a confirmation and I'll delete your account.

User avatar
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster
Posts:5227
Joined:Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:46 pm

Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:12 pm  

Bill Hewes wrote:I haven't been on the site for a while, but before I left I noticed the site being flooded with digital art. It's like come on enough is enough. I think it should have its own category. Then the creators can flood that category all they want. I can create and digital image and then fool around with the settings and have a huge number of images to post based on that image alone and that's kind of what I was seeing. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Hi Bill - it does have its own category! There's one for digital art, and then another new one for AI-generated digital art. It can be filtered out when viewing the gallery. Just select the Category at the top. 8)

  •   Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests