To top

Art contest - Backyard beauty

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Art contest - Backyard beauty

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Contest theme: Backyard beauty
Medium: Anything visual
Deadline: March 4, 2008
Prizes:
  • 1st - $20 Amazon gift certificate
  • 2nd & 3rd - Free full-version copy of ArtRage 2
  • Everyone who enters an original piece - 1% honor

Time for another contest! This time around you're going to be showing us just how exciting and exotic your backyard can be - from flowers to friends; from bugs to neighbors; from worn tools to old mowers - anything in your yard that you want. You probably think you know every square inch of your yard, so try to surprise yourself as well and find something new, or a new perspective on it.

By "backyard" of course we mean your actual yard, if you have one. If you don't, any place close to your residence that you hang out at frequently and basically resembles a backyard will work, like a park.

Please submit only original works created for this contest. Entries will be judged on creativity, adherence to the theme, technical ability and wow factor with a forum vote here on March 5. Please post your entry in this thread as an attachment. If you can't fit it here, you can upload it to your gallery then link to it here. Only one entry per person please.
ryguydavis
Postaholic

Re: Art contest - Backyard beauty

Postby ryguydavis » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:10 pm

Woo! I'm so in on that!

I have chickens in my backyard ^_^ should be fun :lol:
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 pm

This was painted recently, during a happy time when my back yard was literally the Gulf of Mexico. I had the enormous good fortune, thanks to the beneficence of an old school friend from childhood, to be the last inhabitant of a 1951 Paul Rudolph beach house on Siesta Key, Florida (the other west coast). The beautiful old house had been sold and was slated for demolition, but it stood for another 2 years awaiting it's fate. Living there was a bittersweet experience, and one of the most prolific periods of my life as a painter.

My entry is a realistic depiction of one of the 600 or so sunsets that I sketched while sitting in the decaying gazebo, the westward legs of which were lapped by the gentle waves that bathed the tiny white sand beach. I originally called it "The Day I Saw the Blue Stripe", later shortened to "Bayesse".

For a better view, see http://www.theoceanseries.com/artwork41.html
Attachments
Bayesse500.jpg
acrylic on canvas, 28 x 32 inches (71 x 82 cm.)
Bayesse500.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Sorry, I should have put this in the original post, but entries should be original works created specifically for this contest. Thanks 8)
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:17 pm

OK, bloodjelly; this is actually a color sketch that I knocked off this afternoon while sitting in the back yard of my beach front crib. I apologize for lying about it in my previous post. 8)
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Carson Collins wrote:OK, bloodjelly; this is actually a color sketch that I knocked off this afternoon while sitting in the back yard of my beach front crib. I apologize for lying about it in my previous post. 8)

Apology accept...WAIT a minute! :roll:
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Nora Blansett
New poster

Postby Nora Blansett » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Here's my entry... recent photograph of my snow-covered backyard.

The title is "Vacation Needed". :)
Attachments
vacation_needed.jpg
This is my backyard right now... "Vacation Needed". :)
vacation_needed.jpg (244.96 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
TUNER
Substantial poster

Postby TUNER » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm

This is a picture of the tree in my backyard. It was taken with a cell phone, so I adjusted the levels in Photoshop, played with some colors and added the liquify effect on the branches. It gets really cold here ..( .-30 tonight! ) so I colored the playset red to add a little warmth. :wink: I wish it was Spring!!
Attachments
my tree copy.jpg
The Wishing Tree
my tree copy.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
Roger Hilleboe
New poster

Postby Roger Hilleboe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Backyard.jpg
My Backyard: Gouage on paper
Backyard.jpg (155.33 KiB) Viewed 3288 times

Here's the "backyard" of my studio in Ojai, California, a town of 7,334 residents nestled in a beautiful green valley eighty miles NW of Los Angeles. Those are Piliated Woodpeckers having a go of a wooden sculpture I'd made earlier in a vain attempt to scare the blackbirds away. Its February now, everything is green from the heavy rains we had in January, and the flowers are beginning to bloom. I rendered my backyard using gouache on paper on a Sunny Sunday afternoon.
Please visit my my website and tell me what you think: web.mac.com/rhilleboe.

Return to “Visual arts”