To top

Fluid Acrylic---- Going with the Flow

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
Dapore
Substantial poster

Fluid Acrylic---- Going with the Flow

Postby Dapore » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Floral Fantasy 45
24x24 inches
Wet into wet, working into a very wet base. Started the painting with a bit of a game plan and just went with the flow. Some semi dry brushing. A palette knife was used to produce the flowers and linage. Carving into the semi wet paint at the bottom of the painting with the knife. A few spots of light washes where applied over the dry painting.

I am a self taught artist, I have used the terminology as best as I understand it to describe my approach.
Please note that with this very wet application of paint the over use of water will weaken the adhesion or permanence of the acrylics. For this reason three coats of mat varnish where applied with a spray gun.
Thank you,
Theo Dapore
Attachments
ff45-25.jpg
ff45-25.jpg (70.29 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Last edited by Dapore on Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Evie
Extreme poster

Re: Fluid Acrylic---- Going with the Flow

Postby Evie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:32 am

Really nice piece - this technique obviously suits you :) I'm self-taught too and use mostly acrylics, which do dry fast - so I might try it out! Those flowers look like butterflies about to take flight.
Dapore
Substantial poster

Postby Dapore » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:07 am

Evie wrote:Really nice piece - this technique obviously suits you :) I'm self-taught too and use mostly acrylics, which do dry fast - so I might try it out! Those flowers look like butterflies about to take flight.

Hello Evie, Have you tried using a spray bottle of water to mist over your painting as you work? This will help slow the speed in which the acrylics dry.
Evie
Extreme poster

Postby Evie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 am

What a practical idea - why didn't I think of that? :roll: I suppose I've just become accustomed to the quick-drying nature of acrylics and alot of the time it suits the way I work, but I'll certainly give it a try and see what new doors it will open - thanks! :wink:
lynnielu
Extreme poster

Postby lynnielu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:37 am

I love the painting. It's so light and airy. I can just feel the warm breeze and smell the air.

Evie wrote: Those flowers look like butterflies about to take flight.

yes, and dragonflies

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My Calendars at Lulu.com
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1586244
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:58 am

I believe your piece is quite remarkable. A super job.
I also work in acrylics. I usually slow the drying process by 'thinning' the paint with water before using. Your spray bottle sounds like it could be a great help. :D
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Debbie Adams
Extreme poster

Postby Debbie Adams » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:34 am

An outstanding piece of work. You've taught yourself well. And yes, the flowers do look like butterflies. I think that's a plus. Very original.
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 pm

This is very beautifully done. I love the palette choices & techniques used. This work has vibrancy & continuity... yet it really manages to "pop!"

Acrylic's are my main medium too, but I've been doing most of my art with an airbrush lately, so the paint has to have the consistency of "milk" to spray, & that usually means a whole lot of thinning. I've used a water spray bottle for slowing down the dry time a lot when working with "brushes," but find that using a "thinning medium" works a lot better for me in the airbrush along with water, because otherwise there's just too much pigment & adhesion loss with water alone. There are water soluable acrylic mediums you can use that dry "clear" & have a matte finish when dry. These are relly great because they don't "dull" down the color tones, and a little goes a long way. They have been very helpful for me, when using acrylics on canvas that need the "wet on wet" flow.

I think you made the right choice with the varnish coats though, because it not only protects any piece not "under glass" ... but it definitely helps deepen & even out the finish too.

Your work is very beautiful, self-taught or not, you are truly a talented artist!
lathe7
Substantial poster

Postby lathe7 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 pm

This is very beautiful, elegant- and alive and in motion. Excellent work.
NibbleKat
New poster

Postby NibbleKat » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:32 pm

This is a 'wet' technique I'd like to try. When I paint with acrylics, it's usually either all or nothing.... I'll either paint as it comes out of the tube (with maybe a little extender to let it flow better) or I'll water it down so that the paints come out like watercolors.

Very cool technique.

Return to “Visual arts”