To top

help... I'm new at this...

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
anthony
Extreme poster

Re: help... I'm new at this...

Postby anthony » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:29 am

I like the things that you paint. I think you are well on you way. When I made my last comment you had not posted your sophamore pieces yet. Your violin painting just needs strings. I like the fabric the way it is, but that is just me. There is something about that eight ball, but I don't know if I see it. The bottles are very well done, very realistic.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
findyourbeat
Substantial poster

Postby findyourbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 am

Thank you! The problem I have with the drapery in the violin piece is that I feel like it looks like you're looking at it through wax paper, if that makes sense, it just looks waxy and not as clear as my drapery usually is.
The 8-ball in the billiard painting is a magic 8-ball :)
I was initially apprehensive about working with oil paints, I'm a watercolor person, but now I love it, I wish I had more time and space to do more with it.

Joss
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power the world will know peace."-Hendrix
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 am

I'm curious about the eight ball, too. Care to elaborate? :?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
findyourbeat
Substantial poster

Postby findyourbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:40 pm

haha the 8-ball piece was an assignment. A lot of people in my class wanted to try to paint something from a photo instead of from life, so my professor told us to take photos of objects and of environments, then to play with scale, size, logistics, irony, whatever and incorporate an object into an environment that it didn't belong in or was not originally a part of. So I reduced the size of a magic 8-ball to the size of a billiards ball, I like that it's not immediately obvious, that you have to really look at it. A lot of people in my class didn't even notice it was a magic 8-ball until the critique, and many of them had looked at it and even given me suggestions and mini-crits on it throughout the painting.
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power the world will know peace."-Hendrix
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm

findyourbeat wrote:I like that it's not immediately obvious, that you have to really look at it. A lot of people in my class didn't even notice it was a magic 8-ball until the critique, and many of them had looked at it and even given me suggestions and mini-crits on it throughout the painting.

Honestly.........has ANYONE ever realized what you were doing with the 8-ball without your having to tell them?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
findyourbeat
Substantial poster

Postby findyourbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:25 pm

a few people have, some who have looked at it a LOT and some who have only seen is a couple times.
do you think it's TOO hidden? I think it's a bit easier to see in the actual painting than the photo, but not a whole lot.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 pm

findyourbeat wrote:do you think it's TOO hidden?

Yes.
1. Size is too easily related to depth in a painting.
(the ball on the lower right looks larger than the Q-ball, very close in proportion to the 8-ball vs. the Q-ball size. = depth)
2. There is no 8-ball in snooker. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Return to “Visual arts”