To top

My Process, a Photo-Essay

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Re: My Process, a Photo-Essay

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

It's relative. I was born 25 November 1953. I guess that makes me "middle aged". I'm hoping "older gentleman" doesn't start until you look 60.

It's sunny and 75 degrees F here with a light sea breeze :lol: so suck on that you snowbird. 8) Hee hee hee.

I'll be crying the blues for fair in a couple of months when it's 95 degrees with 98% relative humidity. :cry: Too bad there's no fM "emoticon" for SWEAT.
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Carson Collins wrote:It's sunny and 75 degrees F here with a light sea breeze :lol: so suck on that you snowbird. 8) Hee hee hee.

:lol: I WANT to SURF!!!!! :lol:
No honestly wow you wouldnt be able to keep me indoors if the weather was like that, which is why I am fed up with the UK and its cold wet days. We hardly ever have a Summer here now, not like we used to in the past.
You know Carson, in the 1970's, summer, or at least the warm weather began for us in April and lasted til October, with the sun hot enough that it used to melt the surface of the roads. Not now.... Long gone sadly...
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Thumbprint Gallery
New poster

Postby Thumbprint Gallery » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 pm

First, great work! I really like how you incorporated some of your own colors! Its almost akin to some impressionist work. I wanted to ask if you have ever thought of video taping yourself throughout the process? If you have a website its a great way for you to possibly gain more supporters because as you may have noticed people love connecting with the artist and their work by watching the process! Could be a great marketing tool!

Best of luck
- TPG
http://www.thumbprintgallerysd.com/
Huggertwo1
Postaholic

Postby Huggertwo1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Hey,
Wow!!! The ripples in the painting mesmerize me. I think it is a compliment to you to say it is realistic. To me it does not matter if you first saw it, imagined it, or photographed it to find your "subject". The bottom line is awesome talent!!!
From HuggerTwo1
If you are going to do something do it right or don't do it at all.
http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/index.php?cat=32940
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Aww, shucks. But thank you for looking and taking the time to comment. FYI, it's an acrylic-on-canvas painting, based on something I saw in the Baltic Sea. :D
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 am

This is a great idea for a thread. I love seeing the process of people's paintings.

The first thing I do when painting an abstract is pick my colors. I have recently gotten into drip painting (or action painting) and my process for this is fairly simple. For me, drip painting is about the art of creating art so what I do is pick a color and paint the background that color. For example I recently did one (I wish I had pics) where I picked yellow for the background. I painted the yellow then just took a moment or two looking at it and pulling emotion from it. When I decided how the color made me feel, I picked more colors (in this case, green and a lighter yellow) and transformed those emotions into motion while dripping the paint.

I haven't been able to get a better picture yet, but here's the final product:
nervous energy small.jpg

my goal was to illustrate the nervous and excited energy the I associated the yellow with.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks for resurrecting my old thread, Becca. Would love to see you (and other folks) post images of works-in-progress here, as well as the finished product. I guess with the painting you posted there were only 2 phases, background and action?
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah pretty much. You could split it into three for the two colors.
If I had a camera, I would always take pics of my works in progress but as it is I have to borrow one from a friend to be able to get pictures so I'm usually not able to document the process of my work.
alexborn
New poster

Postby alexborn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

I have an idea for a photo essay I wanted to pursue, your sample helped grow it further. Thank you.

Return to “Visual arts”