To top

Whats your favorite art book?

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
Clide Course
Passionate poster

Whats your favorite art book?

Postby Clide Course » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 pm

As this is my first little poll, (hope this is the right place for it), I thought I would ask the group for their favorite biography, manifesto, technical manual, pop-up, et cetera.

To get the ball rolling I have a few I like:

The Life of Isamu Noguchi: Journey Without Borders by Masayo Duus, just started it seems to be good, biography

Greenberg, Clement. Art and Culture, basically abstract expressionist theory, pompous but worth it.

The Lives of the Artists, Giorgio Vasari, REALLY good pair of books biographies from Cimabuie to Michealangelo, first time in history anyone thought the artist was worth documenting.

Albers, Joseph, Interaction of Color, best explanation of how color works how to mix gradiants, reactive color, optical mixing, etc.

Wassily Kandinsky, Concerning The Spiritual in Art, recommended by a friend I'll have to get back to you on this one.

Cheers!
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Re: Whats your favorite art book?

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Hmmmm.... It would be so hard for me to pick just one or even a few of my art books i have many many books :lol:

i would have to say where i to pick just a few

Book of John Howe

Julie bell and boris vellao

Dega
Art-Aplemitz
Substantial poster

Postby Art-Aplemitz » Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 am

wow .... i read a hell of a lot but the best book for me is

Art and Illusion
A study in the psychology of pictorial representation

By E.H.Gombrich
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 am

I don't so much care for art books, and I'll tell you why using two examples:
1. Every art history book that I ever looked at had a photo of Michelangelo's Pieta. I was never particularly impressed. When I finally got to the Vatican and saw the thing itself, it literally brought me to my knees.

2. I had seen pictures of Mark Rothko's paintings in many art books as well. I didn't even like them. I walked into the Rothko Chapel on the campus of Rice University in Houston, Texas, one day in 1974, expecting to find less than nothing, just another High Art hoax. My reaction was both overwhelming and totally unexpected. I literally wept, much as I also did years later when I saw the Van Goghs in Munich, and Michaelangelo’s “Pieta” in the Vatican.

It’s a total cliche whenever one meets another painter who’s mad about Rothko. Sooner or later, the question of, “Did you cry in the Chapel?” comes up. It’s very corny but most of us did shed a tear. You have to see it for yourself, It’s quite a rush, the paintings are about 15 feet tall, mostly in blues, browns, and blacks. The emotional impact is quite something, hard to describe, you just have to go there some day and see for yourself. No photograph could ever do it justice.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Wed May 18, 2011 2:59 pm

Collins made a great point i have to agree with, An image is no substitute for the real thing. But they are great for people like me, that it is very unlikely to see these places first hand any time soon.
Karly Monahan
Substantial poster

Postby Karly Monahan » Wed May 18, 2011 5:10 pm

As a teacher, art books have been really useful for me to nurture in people an interest in art. 30,000 Years of Art has been great for me. It's a pretty big book, but it isn't bogged down by text like some art history books. The best feature for me is that the pieces are in complete chronological order. It's not organized beyond date so you can have a European cave painting next to Chinese sculpture. It is really interesting to see what art was going on around the world at the same time.

My favorite art theory book is called Art? No Thing!: Analogies Between Art, Science and Philosophy by Fre Ilgen. It introduces some very interesting ways to view and think about art.
Clide Course
Passionate poster

Postby Clide Course » Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 am

wow 30000 years is on my shelf too a great art historical compendium (if you dont mind throwing out your back picking it up). i'll have to check out your other recommendation. also shaun i do agree with your comment about not being able to experience the work in the flesh, if you are too far from great works a book can be a great way to see things you otherwise wouldnt. cheers!
papajohni
New poster

Postby papajohni » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:26 am

I like these books The Art of Joe Kubert
Rebus by James Jean
Reflections: David Mack Art Book
The Art of Neal Adams

Return to “Visual arts”