Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

Is the era of folk art over?

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
Owl Jones
Substantial poster

Re: Is the era of folk art over?

Postby Owl Jones » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:04 pm

You can argue that, but then, Google Trends doesn't lie. The numbers for people searching for "folk art" have been in decline since the early 2000's. Sorry, I deleted the image I'd linked to from my flickr acct. on accident. It went something like this.

---
---

----

----

----

down.

down.

down.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 am

Owl Jones wrote: "folk art" have been in decline since the early 2000's.

Which is about the time PCs were starting to really grab hold. If there has been decline, I believe it is due to the growth of technology. "Hands on painting" is being overtaken by computer programs which can paint a picture 'better' and much quicker than traditional methods and with far less talent required.
Just my opinion.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Just as there was no 'heavy metal' in the seventies. . . . . . .
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
ericmeikle
Extreme poster

Postby ericmeikle » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:09 pm

.[/quote] "Hands on painting" is being overtaken by computer programs which can paint a picture 'better' and much quicker than traditional methods and with far less talent required.
Just my opinion.[/quote]
Well it may be quicker but I would question better. Personally I like to run my hand over a painting, feel each tiny dab of paint, feel the texture. My current painting has taken a long time to produce (its currently a WIP on this site) . When its done it will not be a masterpiece it will probably never sell, but the sense of achievement will be real. I doubt if I could get all that from a programme.
Eric Meikle

Commisions welcomed
jakehcen
New poster

Postby jakehcen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:22 am

Maybe that has something to do with it, plus the fact that everyone who wanted a piece pretty much has one, since typically it's on the less expensive end.

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Eric, you might want to be carefull in the Louvre, feeling the textures of Mona Lisa or a Monet would get you shot with questions later!
:lol:
jack scott
Substantial poster

Postby jack scott » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:27 am

I had to look up the definition of what comprises folk art. I did a quick scan of Wikipedia and I would say the era is not over but the modernization of individual cultures is definitely being taken over, hence the decline. The computers on the other hand are definitely influencing the impact of what defines fine art, the machine vs. the hand,
Maybe Orson Wells was right, the machines will take over, as for myself I prefer the hands on approach as I feel it is a far closer connection to ones own inner self than the machines we call computers that one can no doubt create interesting visual images but lack the connection and are more of a simple act of creating interesting visual stimuli and takes in my opinion far less of what we have called talent in the past. This is not to say it doesn't have merit, just far less of it. I think calling it digital art is too kind of a reference for it. Maybe computer generated graphics would fit it better. :shock: :lol:
" It's only when you are able to free your mind can you hope to expose your soul." Jack Scott

Return to “Visual arts”