To top

Art contest - Water

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:41 am

Today's the last day of the contest. The entries look great so far! Get in those last minute pieces if you've got em.
The_Gnarled_Branch
Substantial poster

Water

Postby The_Gnarled_Branch » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:13 pm

This piece was alot of fun to do based on two points.
1. size ( 6' x 6' )
2. used alot of water to create.

I love being able to work on larger pieces --you can really get into the motion of painting and it's a relief not to feel restricted within normal confines of a 16" x20 " or whatever size that are more common.

I used many layers of acrylic paints..then used a misting bottle to allow the paint to drizzle and drip naturally down... then added more glazes and layers..

The end result is that of a waterfall you may encounter in a tropical island...
as well the size of the painting makes it easier for the viewer to 'see' it as a waterfall.

Normally I don't do alot of abstract work but water with its own physical characteristics made me decide to do the piece more on an interpretive level than
realistic level.

As per usual the photo doesn't make me too thrilled--but having a large piece and a small living space..was tough to get it all in with somewhat proper lighting etc...

Enjoy...and don't get wet!

:)
Attachments
water.jpg
"Waterfall" ... 6'x6' Acrylic on canvas
water.jpg (162.12 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:21 pm

there's some photos i took which looked great on my contact sheet but turned out completly dissappointing when i made prints.

:(
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the awesome entries. La competencia es cerrada, and the contest is closed. I've got one of the judges pondering remotely, so expect results sometime tonight (7/2).

And Rez...keep burning through that photo paper, you'll be happy soon. Can you Photoshop any of it back to how you wanted it? At least you can scan your negatives...
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:19 pm

OK, here are the results after lots of discussion and review. The judges this time around were myself, Lorna, one of her good artist friends Judy, Sara (a textiles and marketing major) and Bobby (emphasis in Landscape design).

1st place: Tuner, The Water Bugs
You really just went to town on this one, and just looking at it you can see so many creative ideas bouncing around. Technically I thought some of the other pieces looked more "professional", in the sense that they had a polished look, but considering how you interpreted the theme of this contest in such an unexpected and fun way, you get the judges' vote.

2nd place: The_Gnarled_Branch, Waterfall
Congratulations for doing something outside your comfort zone and getting into the process, which in this case is what gives the work many of its qualities. Again, you got into the theme and did something a little different. Oh, and the judges thought that flipped 90 degrees clockwise it looks like an ocean scene.

Hamlet - thought this was going to be right down your alley. The colors and movement and stillness are comforting.

Florian - Seen this dude before, nice job. Another one of the judges' favorites.

Magical-Goats - Your name is weirder than mine. Love the swoopy loopies and the color palette. Also a popular one with the judges.

Sredare - Heard lots of "Woah! How did she do that?" Then pointed them to your nifty how-to. A tough choice not to pick this one, but I personally didn't see the connection to the theme clearly enough.

aazari - Ack! Watermark! It's hard to see your nice piece behind it. Dreamy and whimsical, good job.

RDW - Also dreamy, to me. Kind of haunting but peaceful.

ACSFIREWOLF - Fun pic, love the water. It's great how she's sort of just resting magically on the ocean waves.

Johan-Nieuwborg - Very cool. Sara pointed out the scene while I was still kind of thinking, "huh?" Now it's clear to me, and I'm digging it. Another judge pleaser.

Someone Else - So sad! Good work breaking the rectangle, and kind of giving it an added touch with the poem.

kimmus122 - Fun and well done. Too bad the pic is so small...

littleladyatl - Playing to the sea gods. What's the song?

beantownmel - Yet another tough choice with yours. Good work, and hopefully I can make it to the Caribbean soon to see how this captures its beauty!

beautyredefined - Really neat effect, like ice, or a flower under a frozen lake. Sara really liked this one as well.

Sunny - I liked the subtle effect on the photo. Looks like a sweet spot.

xymonau - Does the original water photo include the leaf? Very clean and grabbing.

chinesepainting - I guess you didn't make those, but they're in your gallery? Really nice pieces, but not exactly on topic.

mtv65 - The curse of the small photo! It was hard to see your work in this image, but the fact that you chose the Encaustic method to make it sounds interesting, and we'd like to see a bigger version!

Thanks everyone! As a bonus, everone who entered gets 100 art dollars. money money money money, money! Until next time...
beautyredefined
New poster

Postby beautyredefined » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:24 pm

Congrats Tuner and The_Gnarled_Branch! Really good entries everyone! And thanks for commenting about everyone's entries. :)
The_Gnarled_Branch
Substantial poster

Neato!

Postby The_Gnarled_Branch » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:23 am

What a way to start the day...
thats really cool--- I'll be looking forward to
see this book as I truly believe watercolour painting
is one of the hardest mediums to master.

Thanks so much !
Also it was interesting to read a critique for every piece--shows there was alot of thought and time
put forth...

thanks again!
:):)

(My wife made the same comment about turning it-- gives a whole new water look... now I'm not sure which way I like!)
TUNER
Substantial poster

WHo Me?

Postby TUNER » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:22 pm

Wow! I won! I am very flattered! There were so many wonderful pieces! Thanks for the gift Certificate. I don't know what I'll get with it yet. I am so excited that I can hardly type!
Thank you!!
TUNER :lol:
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

GHOST IN THE MACHINE

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 am

Hey this is wierd: I just changed my avatar, and now it appears next to the first entry in this contest, "sunset over water" 18"x24", acrylic and oil on canvas, which I did not post. My entry was the sixth one "A tryptich: sunset, night, & dawn... acrylic on canvas with gold leaf, 15 x 29 inches"

By the way, congratulations to the winners; this really was a fun contest (although I have to say, if I didn't win this one, I'll probably never win one, because water is all I paint these last 30 years... :wink:
Attachments
tryptichSM.jpg
tryptichSM.jpg (47.73 KiB) Viewed 652 times
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:05 am

That is weird. I know what the problem is but can't fix it until later today. Sorry about that!

Return to “Visual arts”