To top

The White Stripes

Who's your favorite?
tintinabulation
Substantial poster

The White Stripes

Postby tintinabulation » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Who else loves them? Favorite song/album?

I just got the last of their albums. :) I'm very happy.
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:35 pm

destijl was so good that it kept me buying their albums after one that wasnt as good and one which was just a flat out disappointment.

white blood cells was pretty good, but flagged heavily in the second half. and it sounds like elephant was the awkward midpoint to the criminally underrated "get behind me satan"

that one is a different slice of perfection entirely.

so i like em quite a bit, but i think they've done as much as they could as a band.
now jack white is in the raconteurs, and i find them terrifically boring.
tintinabulation
Substantial poster

Postby tintinabulation » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:53 pm

get behind me satan? perfection? i though it was their worst album! it only has a few listenable songs, and though some of them are some of the greatest songs i've ever heard(namely my doorbell and the denial twist, and as ugly as i seem) the rest just seemed like they weren't doing their best by a long shot.
and elepahnt is probably my favorite album by them. :P de stijl is the one i just got and i love it. i got the raconteurs' at the same time and I don't think it's left my cd player! i though it was a really solid album, even though it was short, and it wasn't boring in the least bit.
but i guess opinions vary, right? :D
axl_vs_slash
Substantial poster

Postby axl_vs_slash » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:48 am

I have White Blood Cell and Get Behind Me Satan- Gotta say I like the sound. I LOVE I Think I Smell A Rat, and The Denial Twist, as well as Little Room. That song just makes me giggle.

Maybe I'm missing something huge by not having their other albums. -shrugs- I'm more inclined towards music with a bass line.

One thing... White Stripes music videos kick ass.
I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul.
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:41 pm

tintinabulation wrote:get behind me satan? perfection? i though it was their worst album! it only has a few listenable songs, and though some of them are some of the greatest songs i've ever heard(namely my doorbell and the denial twist, and as ugly as i seem) the rest just seemed like they weren't doing their best by a long shot.
and elepahnt is probably my favorite album by them. :P de stijl is the one i just got and i love it. i got the raconteurs' at the same time and I don't think it's left my cd player! i though it was a really solid album, even though it was short, and it wasn't boring in the least bit.
but i guess opinions vary, right? :D

i thought with elephant they seemed to be reaching out of their very simple outfit into some "modern cabaret" complication that made their songs either overwrought or underdeveloped. something they didnt have a full grasp on.

get behind me satan was rushed, recorded in scant amounts of weeks and unfinished in parts, and exactly what they were best at. they're a simple band, and although they kept their baroque new image, they started to throw more curves because it was back to struggling with limits, musically, despite the introduction of a few new instruments. it's raw and dirty, and that's how jack white plays his guitar. it's untrained and naive, and thats how meg will always play those damn drums.

raconteurs sounded so middlingly competent that i basically threw it away.
La Forte
Passionate poster

Re: The White Stripes

Postby La Forte » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Big fan here! Probably my second-favourite band next to Mötley Crüe. I didn't get to know them earlier but when Icky Thump came out in 2007, I started listening to all of their albums and live videos I could find on the net. That was also when I started learning to play blues. Their best song in my opinion might be Death Letter, which they covered from Son House. Or maybe Ball And Biscuit.

Jack White is playing in another blues band 'The Raconteurs', which is effing awseome, an alternative/experimental/wateva band 'The Dead Weather', which is effing awesome as well. :P But sure The White Stripes ain't dead! :D
"A heart that hurts is a heart that works." - Brian Molko
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:40 am

I like White Stripes but don't know much about them. I like that song that has a prominent piano part going all through it. Anyone know what that song is called?
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
La Forte
Passionate poster

Postby La Forte » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:16 pm

anthony wrote:I like White Stripes but don't know much about them. I like that song that has a prominent piano part going all through it. Anyone know what that song is called?

Might be 'My Doorbell' 8)
"A heart that hurts is a heart that works." - Brian Molko
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:49 am

I've only ever heard it once and that was on the radio, so it must have gotten more air-play then.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition

Return to “Music”