To top

Have Painter's Block? Try Bach!

Who's your favorite?
captainduh
Passionate poster

Have Painter's Block? Try Bach!

Postby captainduh » Sun May 31, 2009 4:42 pm

As an oil painter I find that music is the best way to come up with a new idea or theme for my works. For me the purest music out there is classical. With no lyrics you are forced to not just listen to the music, but "hear" it as well.

For those of you with painter's block let me offer this suggestion: Buy some Johann Sebastian Bach and play it in a quiet darken room. For me, Bach was the greatest composer who ever lived. He evoked feelings of pride, solitude, joy, fear, and power. From these base emotions our minds start to paint mental pictures to follow the music. From these mental pictures we can derive a new piece of art.

Many of my works have come from listening to Bach. When I sat and listened to his "Toccata in D" and felt this feeling of conflict and sadness, I came up with an idea for "Original Eviction" which was a about Satan's fall from heaven. I keep a book of ideas that come to me when listening to classical music so that I can refer to it when trying to decide what to paint next. It's a valuable tool to keep a book of ideas when looking for the next interesting project.

I hope someone finds this useful. :)
"I have seen enough of this world. Paint me a new one!"
YouTube: RyanWilliamsArt
Facebook: The Art of Ryan G. Williams
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: Have Painter's Block? Try Bach!

Postby bloodjelly » Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 pm

Good advice. Classical works for me as well to boost creative juices, although sometimes I need something with a little more kick, especially when a deadline is looming. In that case anything loud with a good beat works.
Debbie Adams
Extreme poster

Postby Debbie Adams » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:44 am

Well I thank you both for the advice, and will have to give this a tryout. :wink:
dustymyers
Substantial poster

Postby dustymyers » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am

My husband needs music to work so what he does is feed his system (he has a killer sound system in his studio) through Pandora (www.pandora.com) when he's tired of c.d's and whatnot. He can pick out his favorite songs/artists or whatever and they will base a "radio station" on his likes and dislikes. It's awesome if you're stuck and need some new stuff to listen to! --Kayla
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:38 pm

I love Bach, but the 'deedle deedle deedle' gets to be too much after a while. I am a musician classically trained so I really do understand the nuances of various musical artists.
In my opinion, music needs to have some balance and sometimes rock and roll suites the mood. Other times it can very well be Bach or Wagner or something. Now Beethoven makes me think of drawing vegetables :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, music is obviously a preliminary necessity in the creation aspect, I think that most would agree. However, I have worked in complete silence if that was the mood that was necessary at the time.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:09 am

great idea.... I'll give it a try... Coldplay does a good job too.
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:10 pm

rebus wrote:Coldplay does a good job too.

Cold Play is also on my list of music I listen to while creating.. but I do listen to all kinds of music during that time. What I do is start listening to one kind of music, then look at the painting i'm working on, if I feel emotions stirring, then I know i've got the right music to listen to for that particular painting.
Sometimes I create while my little son plays beautiful music on the piano.
Last edited by MiChelleAngella on Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
captainduh
Passionate poster

Postby captainduh » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:05 pm

Another genre I am fond of when painting is piano music. I feel that a single piano can emulate an entire orchestra and thereby emulate a multitude of emotions. Jim Brickman, John Tesh, and David Nevue are good sources for this in my opinion.
"I have seen enough of this world. Paint me a new one!"
YouTube: RyanWilliamsArt
Facebook: The Art of Ryan G. Williams
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:19 pm

captainduh wrote: Jim Brickman, John Tesh, and David Nevue are good sources for this in my opinion.

Phillip Glass, Eric Satie, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, to name some more . . . .
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
mae cacdac
New poster

Postby mae cacdac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 am

that was a very nice advice..

i would be very glad to keep it in mind..

thanks for sharing it...

:wink:

Return to “Music”