To top

Movies

Movie discussion.
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:43 pm

Update on the Wild Bunch for you, Hamlet. It seems the schlockmeisters in Hollywood are in the process of remaking it as a modern crime vehicle for the under-used and seldom-seen Bruce Willis. I can put that DVD on my shelf, next to the Psycho remake with Vince Vaughan.

And I hear the writers are on strike.........
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Which raises an interesting point: Has there ever been a remake that was better than, or even as good as, the original?

I can't think of one, myself. But it sure is easy to think of remakes of good movies that sucked huge eggs.

For example, King Kong 1976 and 2005

or how about On The Beach 2000?

And let's don't forget The Invasion 2007 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978.

lynnielu
Extreme poster

Postby lynnielu » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14 pm

remake that sucked huge eggs . . . Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978.
I definately agree with this one. I saw it around halloween and couldn't even watch it. Loved the original.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My Calendars at Lulu.com
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1586244
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:43 pm

hamlet279 wrote:Which raises an interesting point: Has there ever been a remake that was better than, or even as good as, the original?

I can't think of one, myself. But it sure is easy to think of remakes of good movies that sucked huge eggs.

For example, King Kong 1976 and 2005

or how about On The Beach 2000?

And let's don't forget The Invasion 2007 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978.

The Cape Fear remake was as good, or even better, than the original. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake(although glossier and less violent) was every bit as good as the original. The '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers is great and has one of my favorite actresses in it, Veronica Cartwright.

As far as I'm concerned, the last King Kong was the suckiest of all. The FX were great, but it was too damn long, the acting blew(especially Jack Black, who sucks in everything) and it had none of the charm and atmosphere of the original. Peter Jackson, who CLAIMS it was an homage to his favorite film, didn't even bother to use the original Max Steiner score. At least the 76 version had unintentional humor. Thought this monkey would never die.
thegemsculptor
Passionate poster

damn dirty ape!

Postby thegemsculptor » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 pm

Another remake that wasn't as good as the first was Planet of the Apes.While it didn't particularly suck,it just lacked the cheeserific quality of the original.The closing scene with Heston and the Statue of Liberty is classic cheese.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:19 pm

...The Cape Fear remake was as good, or even better, than the original...

- DrayeArt

Well, at least we can agree on that! You've named the fabled "exception that proves the rule". I should have thought of those. Both movies were excellent, touche'.

...King Kong...76 version had unintentional humor. Thought this monkey would never die...

- DrayeArt

No shit it had "unintentional humor". Jessica Lange literally breathes through her mouth throughout every scene.

CoffeeAndSmokes
Postaholic

Re: damn dirty ape!

Postby CoffeeAndSmokes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:33 am

thegemsculptor wrote:........just lacked the cheeserific quality of the original........

Haha. Love the new expressions of food.

Next time I confront a waiter, I am going to demand a cheeserific and baconiriffic croissantariffic and the damn establishment will charge me double... :?

I did like Mad Max. Not the fact that it was a Australian movie but it had the "raw plot" and action, and very intriquing filmwork which was very different to what has been produced over a number of years when it was made.
Quote Draye = "grubby" is probably a good generalisation for it. It places it apart from the hollywood trend.

C&S.
CoffeeAndSmokes
Postaholic

Postby CoffeeAndSmokes » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 am

Damn, another post i'm posting.... i'm trying to be moderate.

hamlet279 wrote:......."Alien", in contrast, is merely a formulaic horror movie with an exceptionally good monster. It also has a twist, in the strong female lead. Ripley doesn't do any screaming or crawling slowly away in her nightie, thanks God.

What is wrong with that? I would like to see Ripley screaming in any costume that she is wearing or in nothing for that matter... anyway, the thing that has intriqued me when I have watched "alien" is the approach to the visual aspects apart from the storyline of old. Hey folks, remember the scary bits in movies from past experiences? Right? Change of tempo in timeframes can confuse some expectations where in the parts that are expectant to scare you shitless.... (I cannot describe a separate both of the other because i do not think it has been invented yet).....but really, they have been playing this part of this expectant foreplay with the movies which create an ambient scene to chaos. Their actual attempt at this is a very clever way of shocking the audience to the notion of why.

Just a few thoughts to add to this FM dictionary.
If you think i'm insane, then Hamlet is right.

C&S.
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:05 am

If there's any consolation prize to all this, it's that, in 20 years, when they start remaking all the crap that comes out now, it has to be better than the original.

If your a Hitchcock-o-phile(another new word for you, Coffeeandsmokes), then there are two camps of thought on which is the better version of The Man who Knew Too Much. Purists love the raw original B&W Gaumont, but many prefer the more sumptuous remake. I'm part of the latter. Even tho it has Doris Day, it makes up for it with everything else.

The Max movies were one of those rare instances where each sequel was better than the last. Not something that could be said for the Planet of the Apes series.

The Mummy was a good remake. If you ever saw the old creaky original with Boris Karloff, or it's sequels with Lon Chaney Jr. you'd agree. Christ, how did they kill anyone, they were so slow.

Dawn of the Dead is another good one.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:05 am

The Max movies were one of those rare instances where each sequel was better than the last.

- DrayeArt

Not according to my taste! I thought "The Road Warrior" (which I liked quite a lot at the time) was a step down from "Mad Max", and they just got worse and worse after that.

The Mummy was a good remake... the old creaky original with Boris Karloff... Lon Chaney Jr.... how did they kill anyone, they were so slow.

Well, we agree about the originals, but the ones with Brendan Frasier were tongue-in-cheek, and only mildly amusing at best. At least the originals were serious about invoking an aura of darkness and mystery about ancient Egypt that later became iconic.

I remember being scared of The Mummy as a kid (it used to be on TV a lot, the Late Late Show, Shock Theatre, etc.) I also remember the "aha!" moment when I realized that my grandmother could run around behind him and kick him in the ass. Years later I encountered a theory that perhaps the reason people were powerless against the Mummy is that they were rendered near-helpless by his awful stench.

Return to “Movies”