To top

100 Years of "The Duke"

Movie discussion.
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

100 Years of "The Duke"

Postby DrayeArt » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:39 am

As the year 2007 closes fast, I'd like to post a last tribute to a celebration, earlier this year, that some members might not have been aware of. The 100th anniversary of John Wayne's birthday.

He may be gone, but I think it’s ok to go right on counting. Whether he’s still with us or not, John Wayne’s legend lives on. He was a true American icon, love him or hate him. He stirred controversy with or without even trying. Those who said he couldn't act, probably never watched his films.

He was born Marion Robert Morrison, on film he was known as John Wayne, but to his fans he’ll always be the Duke. He started working in movies before sound back in the 20s, but he was a Hollywood superstar for more than a 30 year run between the 40s and the 70s. The Duke made an incredible 171 movies, his first being an uncredited performance in the 1926 movie Brown of Havard and his last the 1976 film The Shootist.

His career was littered with classics like The Searchers, Hondo and True Grit. He won a Best Actor Oscar in 1969 for True Grit, and he probably passed up another one by refusing to star in 1949’s All the King’s Men because he thought the script was un-American. He was vilified in the press, because of his pro-American stance during Vietnam, yet avoided service during WWII. He was viewed as a staunch conservative, yet requested a role in Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles. He is remembered equally for his classics, like The Searchers, The Cowboys, Rio Bravo and Sands of Iwo Jima as he is for turkeys like The Barbarian and the Geisha and McQ.

More than any other actor in the history of Hollywood, it is perhaps fair and proper to call John Wayne a true American legend. For an entire generation he embodied real American spirit, and he took that role seriously. Some cite him as what's wrong with America, while other's point to him as the acme of a US citizen. Almost 30 years after his death, he still remains a figure of greatness, and of controversy. Quite an achievement for a cowboy.

He died of stomach cancer in 1979, and though his grave was initially unmarked it now bears a quote from Wayne: “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.â€
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:49 am

Many years ago, while visiting back here from Wyoming,
my Dad and I were driving somewhere and were alone.
He had just retired and I suppose was thinking back over the years.
He ask me what I thought of him as a Dad and as an example he had tried to set for us Kids.
I said "Dad, I can do that in two words - John Wayne."
His eyes sure did light up......

I liked 'The Shootist' - seemed a fitting ending.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
lynnielu
Extreme poster

Postby lynnielu » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:10 am

Is this another one of your un-educated rants? :lol:
I think the one I liked with him was here to eternity, If that was the one with him, Richard Widmark and Patricia Neal.
There's not many left from that era.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My Calendars at Lulu.com
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1586244
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:09 pm

lynnielu wrote:Is this another one of your un-educated rants? :lol:
I think the one I liked with him was here to eternity, If that was the one with him, Richard Widmark and Patricia Neal.
There's not many left from that era.

Of course. I dumbed it down a little this time.

I think the flick your thinking of is In Harm's Way, one of Wayne's flicks grabbed up and played to death by The Superstation. A fair to middling soapish epic directed by Otto Preminger(the Michael Bay of the 60's, and probably one of the most over-rated pretentious director's of all time- remember Paul Newman helping to form the state of Israel in Exodus), this one had traces of From Here to Eternity, but none of it's depth. The thing I always remember about this one, are the model ships in the battle scenes. They actually make the Godzilla movies look high-tech.
Greg
New poster

The Duke

Postby Greg » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 pm

"Red River", one of the best ever." The Searchers" is a close second. it would be tough to beat "My Darling Clementine", but that's going in a whole 'nuther direction.
andy tetlow
Extreme poster

Postby andy tetlow » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:57 am

who's John Wayne?...... i'd kick his butt even with my bad toes... :lol:
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
lynnielu
Extreme poster

Postby lynnielu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:16 am

Yes, they're no match for you and your mule.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My Calendars at Lulu.com
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1586244
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:01 am

andy tetlow wrote:who's John Wayne?...... i'd kick his butt even with my bad toes... :lol:

I don't know, Andy. Wayne could make the horse he sat on, look small.
andy tetlow
Extreme poster

Postby andy tetlow » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:31 pm

DrayeArt wrote:
andy tetlow wrote:who's John Wayne?...... i'd kick his butt even with my bad toes... :lol:

I don't know, Andy. Wayne could make the horse he sat on, look small.

bring him on, brother, id still kick his butt. i make my mule look small too.. :lol:
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:09 pm

With the Duke, you make me puke.

Return to “Movies”