To top

The Grudge

Movie discussion.
sumthingzen
Postaholic

The Grudge

Postby sumthingzen » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:24 pm

:lol: WOW...
If you liked Ringu (especialy if moreso than 'The Ring') you will love this film. This has the same writer/director from the original 'Ringu'... who after seeing what the 'stupid Americans' did to his film with 'The Ring' he decided to translate the next on the American Studios bought... his review of working in the states? "I learned about Amrican Movies... and unfortuantly about stupid cheep American Producers." (paraphrased- can't remeber the actual quote... sourced to the fall movie line-ups from E magazine...)

There actualy isn't that much unexpected in the film, and the effects are well done, but nothing over the top spectacular, which makes this films gritty ghost story work. I recomend seeing it with a full audience, preferably screamers who haven't seen this type of horror in a while... it's a built tension film.

Helps if you know a bit about Japanese culture, specifically on Ghosts and hauntings/possesions... but not nessisary. The main character (played by the ex-Buffy Sarah Michelle Gellar) is an Exchange student who went with her fiance' to Japan, and doesn't know what to expect either, so it's not wasted if you don't... but you will catch on quicker to some of the subplots better if you do.

Overall, I had a blast... then afterwords had to explain a few cultural/mystic/belief side points to my wife... (basicly why running away wouldn't help.)

here's a link to a review of the original film...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/

enjoy!
sumthingzen
Postaholic

annother link

Postby sumthingzen » Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:43 pm

and here's a link to the new versions info...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thegrudge.html

there are several wonderful clips and trailors... but don't bother with the shower clip unless you decide to wait for the video... it's just too cool on the big screen when you don't know what's going to happen.
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:29 pm

i have "ringu", and i do think it's better than the american version, but nmot so much that i thought the creator of it had any right to get pissed about it. it all comes from a novel anyway...

friends advised against me seeing it, said it just got dull afte rthe first half-hour.

thought that shot of the meowing kid is pretty rad.
pettyboyflow
New poster

Postby pettyboyflow » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Yeah, that's one of my favourite horror movie..it can shake your nerves for sure... :lol: and i heard about new upcoming horror movies this year..lets see if this movie can shake our nerves...
terrancephillips
New poster

Re: The Grudge

Postby terrancephillips » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 pm

horror movies from asian cultures are always better than westerns..

Return to “Movies”