To top

Best book in the world ever!?

"When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep."
rebus
Postaholic

Best book in the world ever!?

Postby rebus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:13 am

It's hard to call and depending on the mood, you may have different answers....

I can't narrow my choice down to just one, but here are my favourite books:

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:17 am

Still haven't read LOTR...maybe after the final movie comes out I'll read it and compare. Some books I like are The Shipping News by Annie Proulx, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:37 pm

Catch 22 was close: great book... Never read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (have read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which I enjoyed), yet despite this I know the story: must be all those Disney films. I'm afraid the only place I've come across The Shipping News is in your previous post.
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
brnystrdy
Substantial poster

Postby brnystrdy » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:10 pm

One of my favorite books is The Alienist, by Caleb Carr. But, I have many favorites and a wide range of taste. I mention this one because, not many people have have read it and it is a really unusual book.
I haven't read Shipping News, but, loved the movie.
BD

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:33 am

Breakfast Of Champions
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:36 am

Haven't heard of that one, who's the author?

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:19 pm

Celestine prophecy a must read
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:50 pm

Well as I age my idea of the best book changes. As a rebellious youngster i remember-Steal This Book by Abbey Hoffman and Jonathan Livingstone Seagull but I went through many stages to reach the maturity of my life where the Bible is the greatest book I ever read and the most read book in history!
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
jack

best book

Postby jack » Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:41 pm

Nobody reads it because it looks too long. If it were in three volumes everyone would love War and Peace. a real page turner, straightforwardly written, covers life's breadth. 8)
xymonau
Substantial poster

Postby xymonau » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:13 pm

My favourite novel would have to be one of Terry Pratchett's - and did I hear his name mentioned here?? I think perhaps, "Small Gods", but anything Pratchett writes is just so-o-o good!

Years ago I loved reading short science fiction stories, although only the intellectual kind. J.G. Ballard wrote some amazing things (and that was a pen-name, I think, although his real name escapes me). His stories frequently bend your head. You have to read them to understand.

My favourite religious books are "The Desire of Ages" by Ellen White (written in the 1800s I think), and "To Know God" by Morris Venden, who is my all-time favourite religious writer.

Return to “Literature”