To top

Newest stuff

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Sunny
Postaholic

Newest stuff

Postby Sunny » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Well I have been trying to improve my glass skills and make something that doesn't look like everything else out there...Quite a task, as they say "Everything has been done"
So let me know what you think if anything. :)
Attachments
Shelly.jpg
I know this isn't fused glass but I just finished this, too!
Shelly.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Fluttery.jpg
Fluttery.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Dragonfly.jpg
Dragonfly.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Wiggy.jpg
Wiggy.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
Butterfly_1.jpg
Butterfly_1.jpg (89.94 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
David Wilhelm
Passionate poster

This looks Great

Postby David Wilhelm » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:16 pm

I love the fusion between the medians Glass and "I think Thats brass or maybe copper" Either way it looks great.
Alot of New Work.
ladybug
New poster

Postby ladybug » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:55 pm

The glass is really beautiful, but I think it would look more interesting if you added glass beads or melded the wire. I just keep thinking that the wire end looks dangerous, like they would cut you if you were to wear them as a necklace. Maybe softening the ends would make if more comfortable to wear. Very beautiful though.
never depressive
never aggressive
always progressive
mtv65
Extreme poster

glass

Postby mtv65 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:44 am

Well I have been trying to improve my glass skills and make something that doesn't look like everything else out there...Quite a task, as they say "Everything has been done"

Hopefully working with glass and metal, there is still a few things that has not yet been done :-).
Oils is hopeless. LOL even when I found a site with images of nakedsnails, those colourful one that live at the bottom of the sea, and asked to use them as inspiration, I got a nice email back saying "please do, you're not the first to ask" LOL

I found the combination of metal and glass interesting. The shapes are good but as the other person said they might be a bit too sharp. Could you cover the metal with transparent glass, maybe. That might make a nice effect. It all depends on whether you want the pieces to be decorative or used as jewellery.

My favourite was the mask :-))))) I've never seen anything like it. Love the mosaic. And how it isn't symmetrical. Nice touch with the shell. What are the mediums on that one.

Trine
Life begins at 40, Right? At least my life as an artist did.
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54 am

Ladybug-I can't really explain what it is but the copper is a ribbon, very soft indeed. When looked at under a microscope you can see that it is actually very tiny plate copper wrapped around cotton thread. It is antique stuff that I procured at a metals junk yard, it was wrapped all in & out & around a bunch of other copper junk. Anyway they gave it to me and nobody seems to know what it was used for fut one old fella I asked thought it might be used for wicking up excess solder.
At any rate it is very soft and the ladies that work at the artists' co-op where I have my stuff told me about people rubbing it on their faces in disbelief. So you're not alone.
Trine-The mask I made out of plaster bandaging and cardboard and paper clay to keep the weight down and then covered it with glass and grouted it. I'm glad you like it -I wasn't sure if it was too crafty and accidentally loaded the pic in with the jewelry stuff.
Art in Soul Studios

mtv65
Extreme poster

wow

Postby mtv65 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:22 am

the copper is a ribbon, very soft indeed.

That changes it.

Then the seemingly spikyness can be kept and make a very noticeable contrast to the smooth glass, in other words - something different - which I think was one of your goals. :-))))

I procured at a metals junk yard

Junk yards, boot sales and similar are great places to find interesting stuff. I know many who find their frames there and do them up.

Trine

Sunny
Postaholic

Re: wow

Postby Sunny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:33 am

mtv65 wrote: Junk yards, boot sales and similar are great places to find interesting stuff. I know many who find their frames there and do them up.

Trine

I do a lot of photography and I get my frames in junk shops and yard sales or anywhere I can get a deal. Iredo them also-generally I get a better quality than I can afford new anyway.:D
Art in Soul Studios

bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:41 am

Well I'm all interested in that wire now, since you say it's so soft and it looks so...not. I also like the way it contrasts with the glass, and the flutterfly piece in particular looks great with the gold and blue playing off one another. You did a really nice job on all of these - kind of an organic quality to them. I haven't seen enough jewelry to know if they're "new" or not (don't think it matters anyway, just if it's new to the person that's seeing them).

Great work on all the jewelry. It's fun to see the new things you're coming up with. As far as the mosaic, that looks like a lot of work! Tiny pieces thoughtfully placed. I like the shell in the forehead that almost looks like a third eye or like your mosaic piece just had an amazing idea.

So do you sell your jewelry?
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Well, I just joined an artists' co-op called U.P. artist's made market. I put some jewelry there and I'm hoping they will sell. These pieces will go there this week when I go. It's funny cuz the artist's market is out in the middle of nowhere & does great sales. There's a gas station/grocery store combo and the warehouse where we are-that's the sum of the town of Watton, MI.
There is 21 artists and we all work one day a month, pay $20.00 for our space & 10% of sales to the local womens' group that started the whole thing( and manage it). The nice thing is they use the money for charity and that makes me feel good too!

The mosaics are a lot of work but I love doing them. Don't get the money I'd like to for them but nobody gets paid for their time! Here's another piece I did but I'm keeping it for my reflecting pool that I also made.
Attachments
Bowling ball.jpg
Bowling ball.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
Art in Soul Studios

mtv65
Extreme poster

I can understand

Postby mtv65 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:25 pm

I can understand you wanting to keep that one. :-)

It has the same interesting charachteristica as the mask. :-)

What is the shiny thing on top?

Thanks for sharing

Trine

Return to “Art critique”