To top

READ BEFORE POSTING: The Curse of the One-Way Poster

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:08 pm

In the "art critique" category I'm very hesitant to post a comment unless I can think of something pleasant and/or constructive to say.

I wonder sometimes whether that's good or bad; on the one hand, one wants the ambience at FM to remain pleasant; on the other, maybe the person asking for critique actually needs to know that the direction they're taking would be considered (for example) kitsch, overly derivative, etc. by some viewers.

Does anyone have any thoughts about that?
CoffeeAndSmokes
Postaholic

Postby CoffeeAndSmokes » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 am

My view Hamlet.

Pleasantness and constructive comments in "Art critique" to me is great, but I believe you cannot have just a "pleasant" post, such as "hey, that painting is terrific". Really... this does not convey any information to the person who has posted the art for critique. As far as they are concerned, their art is terrific in their eyes, so really you are posting absolutely nothing about their art!

I think constructive critiques in a pleasant manner seems to me what art critique is all about. Just "pleasant" posts should really be left for other boards. :wink:

C&S.
mtv65
Extreme poster

Constructive presented pleasantly

Postby mtv65 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 am

As a teacher I practice all the time with my students for us all to avoid the empthy words like, good, bad or versions of those unless we can express WHAT is good or bad. Only specific comments can help in developing. What is good one can develope further and what someone says is bad one can consider and if one agree change. It is not always easy.

Since these works sometimes carry a lot of the artist in them emotional reactions is very nice to get, but if those are negative I'd be careful how I phrased them but not sensor them. It would be a pity if I for example had a red dot in a painting that was supposed to clash with the rest and no one reacted to it LOL some art works are meant to provocate and if everyone said "lovely" you have failed.

What I hate to see is comments like "it does not give me anything" or similar and a request to explain it so that the viewer might react. I do not want comments from people that do not react intellectually or emotionally or personally or any kind of way to my piece of work. A work of art is a kind of communication and if the other person doesn't receive any kind of message then there is no basis for other kinds of communications on that work either. I much more prefer negative comments because then my work has a reaction.

Yesterday when I sat outside for a while I kept thinking that forums these days is the grown up's places to live out the 5 year olds inside. The one jumping up and down screaming : "Look at me" "look at what I can do" "see me" "react to me" and that is lovely.

So I'd say as long as the comments in some way say "I see you" or "I see you work", following common politeness the comments are good.

Messages directly or indirectly saying "I do not see you or your work or I do not really care to look either", I would prefer not to receive.

Would be interesting to hear from others what kind of comments they find useful and which not.

Trine
Life begins at 40, Right? At least my life as an artist did.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: Constructive presented pleasantly

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:50 am

mtv65 wrote:Yesterday when I sat outside for a while I kept thinking that forums these days is the grown up's places to live out the 5 year olds inside. The one jumping up and down screaming : "Look at me" "look at what I can do" "see me" "react to me" and that is lovely.

I think that's an awesome way to describe it. As far as comments in art critique or anywhere else, helpful criticism is very important for a number of reasons. It can help the artist if he's open to it, it can help the poster learn to examine art critically, and it can help visitors - sometimes months down the road - learn as well. If post after post is filled with praise and nothing else, that's all fine and dandy for the love-hungry poster, maybe, but doesn't help anyone else. On the other hand, between good praise with no critique or no posts at all, the praise is the better of the two. Also, especially for new posters, I try to find something that works and something that I think doesn't work in a new piece, since getting 100% of "This needs work, that needs work" can be very discouraging.
mtv65
Extreme poster

What school

Postby mtv65 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:54 am

What school are you attending and what do you study? What are your dream for the future, jobwise?

Trine

Life begins at 40, Right? At least my life as an artist did.
geezermon

POSTING is ...errrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaaaaaaaa dunno

Postby geezermon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:01 pm

:D i try to post things...well...concepts and imagery to ... get reactions... i assume people come and look and consider, but... being timid is simply not learning anything.
like what the image i am posting now says written and visually. sure it is just a rough concept drawing, but... hopefully the whole idea of seeing beyond the reality ...on into fantasy things...
without being stiffly paranoid you will get slammed with negative criticisms...
melting your ego into some 'Dorthonian rainbow pool'.
sucks to be jumping up and down verbally in a virtual sound proof black hole.
so yah post...bust ass to create and post...nothing happens...like screaming into a valley only to just hear your own scream.
people do look at the works you post. they read the comments. like phantoms, they come and go. cranking up their gizmos of the net...seeing what is there without comments. like this post.
i lived in a city in the 70s. there was this crank breather every night for weeks.
always calling at the same ungodly hour.
i usually was toasted on some still wine i got cheap...tired from art classes... wondering what this person wanted.
so i said:"hey dude. you have been calling for weeks. i was wondering when you were going to talk to me. i have been waiting [like waiting for post replies].
but, you just breath. are you alright. i mean you can talk, right?"
so this meek little whisper voice says:
"yes, i can talk."
so i replied:"then lets talk."
but the meek dude replies:"oh no...i am too scared you won't like me."
so i replied:"ok, i go to class around 8 each morning. you can see me from the hill. if i don't scare you then come on down and we will talk."
nothing, but i got one more call.
the meek dude said:"i saw you. you look like a nice man. thank you for caring."
click...
>>>>>>>>>>i go to some effort to create thought provoking stuff. i am not commercial at all. it is for fun. i could just draw without sharing. i enjoy the whole weirdness of the process. as a friend said of my work:"you are not some hack." she is a master degree museum curator. so i will always remember her words.
posts are words...be they tenderly complimentary or roughly critical...
so i hope the viewers and readers read this: input is like sap in a tree...life giving to the artists amusing your surfing.
nuff said...am off my soap box... fer a while anyhow
geezermon AKA AMERICUTE-USA STUDIO
Attachments
WHAT DO YOU 'SEE' IN REAL LIFE POSTER-FM.jpg
WHAT DO YOU 'SEE' IN REAL LIFE POSTER-FM.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 4965 times
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 pm

I think I post for validation and critique ut I live in the wods and son't really have any contact with other artists with whom I can brainstorm or get the invigoration I got from being in a totally artistic community like when I was in scholl-God I miss the life that was there. Surrounded by young folks and seeing them forge ahead through failures and successes and doing my own exploration and experimentation and having the time and excuse to just go for it was a wondrous thing! I still try to push the envelope but often feel one hand clappingso I post and hope to find some response , any response sometimes-so I also try to give a reponse.
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
lorikitty
Substantial poster

aaah!

Postby lorikitty » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:05 pm

my problem is I forget EVERYTHING!
usually I'll "subscribe" to a post so I can keep track of anything added to it. Fortunately I don't get much email, so it's MUCH easier to keep track of posts that way. I don't have a million things going on; like I said, I forget everything :)

oh, btw --
I'm new! I registered a month ago, but I feel new, because I uploaded a few pictures and promptly forgot that I had :) It's not as bad as something else I signed up for, even paid to join (forget what it was, heh) and then completely forgot the site even existed until I got a paypal notification the next month saying I'd been charged for the subscription.
Bleh!

*wave*
hello!
~lorikitty
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: aaah!

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:09 pm

lorikitty wrote:my problem is I forget EVERYTHING!
usually I'll "subscribe" to a post so I can keep track of anything added to it. Fortunately I don't get much email, so it's MUCH easier to keep track of posts that way. I don't have a million things going on; like I said, I forget everything :)

oh, btw --
I'm new! I registered a month ago, but I feel new, because I uploaded a few pictures and promptly forgot that I had :)

*wave*
hello!

I checked out your gallery - your drawings are a lot of fun. The forgetfulness is definitely something I can relate to, so no worries. Glad to have you here though, and hopefully you'll remember to pop in so we can hear more from you on the forum and see more of your art. :)
lorikitty
Substantial poster

Postby lorikitty » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:28 pm

hehe :D
well I seem to automatically get email notifications of stuff, so that's AWESOME! I definitely won't forget :)
Thank you for the comments, and I'm glad you feel my drawings are fun :D
Might've failed to mention: I'm an anthro artist. Doesn't seem like there're many here though.

anybody wanna collab, let me know, that sounds fun!
~lorikitty

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”