To top

Art Studio Section

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
anthony
Extreme poster

Re: Art Studio Section

Postby anthony » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:53 pm

The Art Of Making Perfect Kraft Dinner

by Chef Anthony

cook the pasta for EXACTLY 5 mins and 41 seconds.
drain WELL and immediately add one tablespoon of BUTTER not margarine
SPRINKLE in the cheese and stir JUST until the butter is melted
add a TINY shot of milk, preferably whole and mix up until smooth
serve with ketchup
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
WILT
New poster

Postby WILT » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:05 am

If you print your art/photo's on relatively thin inkjet paper its sometimes better to also print the mount so that you can frame it (after has thoroughly dried ,24hrs) without a gap which allows cockling . You can change the colour of the mount easily to suit different frames using editing software.Image
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Wed May 18, 2011 4:40 pm

I have a fantastic tip for anyone who uses acrylics but is fed up paying through the teeth for acrylic retardant (slows down drying process).
This stuff costs next to nothing, is available in local pharmacists and works as good as if not better than retardant. Ive been using it for ages...

Its Glycerin clear cough mixture. Make sure you ask for or purchase the CLEAR version
All you do is fill up a pump spray bottle with water and top it off with this stuff.
Spray directly onto the paint on your palette, keeps your acrylic paint wet for much longer. :) Happy Days!!

"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Interesting. I heard, years ago, that if one mixed acrylic paint with glycerine, it would slow the drying process; tried it and it didn't really work (dry time was slowed but not enough to be of any practical value).

Of course I use a pump-spray bottle of water to mist the surface when I'm working wet-on-wet (I suppose all acrylic painters do) but nobody ever told me to mix that water with glycerine. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip. :)
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

It really works my friend :D
Dont spray too much on though, you end up with paint running everywhere hahaha
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm

@ Alan:
Well, yeah, no different from spraying too much plain old water on I would imagine. :cry: I've learned - the hard way - not to do that to myself any more. :lol:
Karly Monahan
Substantial poster

Postby Karly Monahan » Wed May 18, 2011 6:47 pm

One technique that I really love is using a mixture of acrylic matte medium and gel medium instead of gesso to prime a canvas. Just mix them 1:1 and apply the same way you would gesso (make sure you sand in between layers). You will have a smooth, slightly flexible surface the color of your canvas. It doesn't absorb paint the same way gesso does, so your paint actually lasts a little longer. Since the background is not white it also makes your color choices a little different and your paintings seem warmer. The downside is that you have to use heavy duty stretcher bars. If your stretcher bars aren't strong enough, your painting WILL curve.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

Another good trick is to use "block filler" as opposed to gesso. This is a trowel-grade acrylic product that is only slightly off-white and is mixed with Bentonite clay. It's used in Commercial Painting to prime concrete block walls, and it's sold in all commercial paint stores. It's a whale of a lot less expensive than gesso from the Art Supply store.

It's sandable (insofar as any acrylic paint product is sandable) - try using an electric-powered buzz-block and watch the acrylic turn into something resembling chewing-gum from the heat - and if you're doing large scale paintings it can save you a considerable amount of money. :idea:
jeremyzschau

Postby jeremyzschau » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:06 am

jeremyzschau

Postby jeremyzschau » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:10 am

Return to “Art Studio”