To top

"Over the Hills and Far Away"

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
oregonsbragia
Substantial poster

"Over the Hills and Far Away"

Postby oregonsbragia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:23 pm

This is my latest painting which is nearing completion. I am pretty satesfied with it but like any artist, I am never completely happy. Any and all comments or critiques are welcome.
Thanks,
Sean

alanminshull
Extreme poster

Re: "Over the Hills and Far Away"

Postby alanminshull » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi oregonsbragia
The artist is never truly happy with a painting even when at first it is believed to be complete, however, its a beautiful and achieved painting. The sunset is marvelous, rich and warm and if anything I would add a hint of clouds to the sky. Yet when I look at the way you have painted the rest of the scene, everything appears smooth. Is this your intention, the way that you wanted the features to appear? If so, there is no need for clouds.
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
oregonsbragia
Substantial poster

Postby oregonsbragia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks for your comments! I agree with you about the sky. Maybe just a very hint of cloud above the horizon. It was my intention to have a crisp cloudless big sky and soft ground features with the stark sillhouette standing as the contrasting focal point and main subject. I was thinking that perhaps the sky needs a bit more contrast and color intensity and perhaps the middle ground could be muted a bit more to create better depth and balance.
leighquigg

Postby leighquigg » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 am

to me this looks good as is, i love how well done and clean it looks.
GrubeGallery
Passionate poster

Postby GrubeGallery » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:25 am

I think you need to define light direction and shadows. The light appears to come from the left yet the shadow from the rock is confusing. When the light is low the shadows are long; maybe more from the tree lines?
oregonsbragia
Substantial poster

Postby oregonsbragia » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:18 am

~Mr. Grube You are right the light is coming from the left just below the horizon.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 am

I see the brightest point to be just left and about the tip of the "mountain". Therefore, like Fred said: "the shadow from the rock is confusing". Your trees need shadowing as well.....but then you said it was "near completion", so I thought that might already be in your thoughts. :wink:
Nice piece so far. 8)
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
kittu_art
Substantial poster

Postby kittu_art » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:39 am

Beautiful and refreshing Artwork! :D :D :D
inspirucoocoo
New poster

Postby inspirucoocoo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:23 am

oregonsbragia wrote:This is my latest painting which is nearing completion. I am pretty satesfied with it but like any artist, I am never completely happy. Any and all comments or critiques are welcome.

Hey Sean, maybe it does need some work here and there with shadows. Nonetheless be proud of what you made. It is really beautiful. There is a sense of tranquility and passion that it has to it. That is definitely worth being proud of.
Lover of art, inspiring others and Graphic Design.
Read more about these things at
http://inspirucoocoo.blogspot.com
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

Postby Attila Levai » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:06 am

I like the mood. All the colors are fitting. 8)

As above said maybe just refine the shadows.
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.

Return to “Art critique”