To top

Beginner looking for some reviews

Digital or traditional, playful or serious. Post your photos here.
Manuel Hess
Passionate poster

Beginner looking for some reviews

Postby Manuel Hess » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 am

Hi, I haven't much experience in photography,
So could you watch my gallery and tell me if
I have potential? Thanks :)
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Re: Beginner looking for some reviews

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Sun May 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Potential is developed by practice. Are you aware of the roughly 6 rules of Composition unique for Photography? 1st learn the rules then break them when the shot your are taking necessitates the choice due to your creative interpretation.
You have a great sensitivity to dramatic light and the use of contrast of colors to make your focal points stand out.
Do you bracket photos when you shoot? Shooting the same image with different perspective. framing and viewpoint. It would be interesting to see the sun ball closer, even in back of the sail boat. Remember rule of thirds is also for placing the horizen line as well. I do feel this image is my favorate of your series.
Self Portrait notice the grey iron pole projecting from your hand holding the camera. That is called a merger and distracts from the focal point, you. Again a very slight shift to the right would enhance a rule of thirds placement. Additionally it would be fun to see the shot you were framing with your camera at the moment.
Rust tree very nice contrast with the field of green surrounding it. The red tree is placed a little too close too center; use of the rule of thirds would make the image stronger. Simple cropping could fix this. Crop out the bare tree trunk upper right corner as it is distractive . That will result in the focal point of the rust tree to be more in a rule of thirds position and make the image more powerful.

Happy Shooting, Lorena
Manuel Hess
Passionate poster

Postby Manuel Hess » Mon May 28, 2012 8:34 am

Hi, thanks for your detailed answer and advices!
Erm no, I'm not aware of any rules at all, I'm a complete newbie :D maybe you can tell me?
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 am

Check out these two sites:
Photography: The Rules of Composition – PictureCorrect
Composition is the combining of distinct parts or elements to form a whole. In photography that thought is very important in taking good pictures.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/phot ... omposition

10 Top Photography Composition Rules. There are no fixed rules in photography, but there are guidelines which can often help you to enhance the impact of your photos.

http://www.photographymad.com/pages/vie ... tion-rules
jasonelliss
New poster

Postby jasonelliss » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am

i am also a beginner but i recently got this canvases printed up...my first print ever on a 5x7 canvas check it out...
Attachments
canvas finished.jpg
18$ if anyone wants one
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:00 am

I like your image very much as I love the textures of walls, doors, windows and signs. The quality of your photograph of the canvass makes it hard to actually see the quality of the image. Earlier in this thread I did point out some sites to aid new photographers, consider checking them out to enhance your shooting skills. As I say I cannot see the image all that well, I do think that some judicious cropping would strengthen the overall image. The chimney in the upper left corner with the brilliant white sky, does that draw your eye because it is the brightest value in the photo? Is that bright area the focal point? I think not, so you might consider just cropping it out. Also the partial bright white shapes along the right side, do they add or distract? The fact they are just partial shapes cut off and the lettering is incomplete, perhaps those could be cropped out as well. Consider re-shooting and cropping in the camera and shoot some tighter and some more global, where in you get the signs and shapes on the right completely and not cropped in half.

Return to “Photography”