To top

Watercolor Piece-Need help and opinions!

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
JMO621
Passionate poster

Watercolor Piece-Need help and opinions!

Postby JMO621 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

Hello, here I have a watercolor piece that is in process. I was almost done until I messed up the grass (there were little details and flowers in it). To me, it just doesn't seem "finished" enough, though I admit I never want to call my art complete. What do you think it needs, if anything? How can I go about it? I'm fairly new to watercolors. Thank you! :D
Attachments
rsz_img_1440.jpg
Last edited by JMO621 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: Watercolor Piece-Need help and opinions!

Postby bloodjelly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Do you have a link to it?
JMO621
Passionate poster

Postby JMO621 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:15 pm

I forgot to attach it. It should be there now!
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe
tulabstract
Substantial poster

Postby tulabstract » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 am

I feel it just needs several different colors of green, as it looks abstract..adding more define grass like would draw just to the grass.
I think it will look finished with just different shades of green
JMO621
Passionate poster

Postby JMO621 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 am

Okay, great! I just seem to be afraid to add more color...a bit shy sometimes. :wink: So, it would be fine to add several shades of green? I'll assume layering different colors may work as opposed to just gradating one color and then some.
sue hazelton
Postaholic

Postby sue hazelton » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am

I agree layering shades of green would keep with the rythm you have going already in the piece, especially the sky. What I see is the foundation you have already; starting at the right I see your lightest pale green value, then light yellow green value, your medium green value, and your darkest blue green value. Maybe these just need to built up
pedrolopes
New poster

Postby pedrolopes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:13 am

I still see a lot of "pale" almost unpainted spaces on the grass section, I'm always obsessed with shades, for me I always have "the brightness, the real color and the darkness", basically three tones for the same color. :idea:
JMO621
Passionate poster

Postby JMO621 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice. I did try to add some more layers of color, though I must've put too much water layers because the paper is now buckling (even after taping and stapling :P). I tried compensating by adding darker textured grasses in it. I will post a pic later on.
JMO621
Passionate poster

Postby JMO621 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:49 pm

Attempt at fixing...
Attachments
phpS9ht1wPM.jpg
Here is my update!
ArlanderSattler
Substantial poster

Postby ArlanderSattler » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:09 am

Hey that's quite a change with the grass :) Well done with the layering. May I suggest you add a little bit more boldness for the sky too? Also, I read about your initial idea to put extra flower details on top the grass, to me it seems to be best leave the grass as it is now though :?

Return to “Art critique”