To top

Nude Portrait Study

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
acsunda
Postaholic

Nude Portrait Study

Postby acsunda » Sun May 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Wanted to paint this today, but didn't have enough time, so I sketched it instead. I hated it until I finished it, now I kind of like it. Any thoughts?
Attachments
10334301_10201055811915968_5693124014793748102_n.jpg
9x12 Graphite and White chalk
"Art is either plagiarism or revolution" -Paul Gauguin
JMO621
Passionate poster

Re: Nude Portrait Study

Postby JMO621 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 am

Overall, I enjoy this sketch. If I were to critique it with realism in mind, I'd tell you that the proportions are a bit off (which is one of the most difficult things to get right). However, I'm going to look at it with no particular style in mind and say that it's a bit quirky, fun, yet real; the breasts sort of have a 'Picasso-esque" feel about them. That entire area of the piece really draws me in and I think you could definitely turn this into something bigger (focusing on this point or mirroring another focal point above the head). Nice job on the shadows/highlights as well. I'd like to see more with this!
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allan Poe
acsunda
Postaholic

Re: Nude Portrait Study

Postby acsunda » Wed May 07, 2014 5:12 pm

Thanks! The head may seem slightly too small and the breasts are not symmetrical. However, this is how the model actually appears. Part of the reason I chose to work with her was because of how unique she looks! She does indeed have a "quirky" look in person as well. Thank you for the comments! There's more of these types of drawings in my gallery! :D
"Art is either plagiarism or revolution" -Paul Gauguin

Return to “Art critique”