To top

Hair spray as a fixative

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
paulfleet
Substantial poster

Hair spray as a fixative

Postby paulfleet » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 am

I am going to do some pencil sketches and have heard that you can use hair spray as a fixative. Is this just an urban myth. Have you tried it and does it work, if so what spray would you recommend.
“Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.”~Salvador Dalí
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: Hair spray as a fixative

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:54 am

paulfleet wrote:I am going to do some pencil sketches and have heard that you can use hair spray as a fixative. Is this just an urban myth. Have you tried it and does it work, if so what spray would you recommend.

I've heard that this works, though I've never tried it myself. Personally I'd shell out a little extra for an artist fixative, or at least do a fair amount of research on the hairspray first,either online or testing it yourself on something that you didn't put a lot of time and love into. The ingredients in both can be similar, but hairsprays might have extra unwanted components (conditioners, fragrance, etc.) Also, I was fond of hairspray flamethrowers when I was a kid, so if you work by candlelight, be careful. :P
kah wah tan
Passionate poster

Postby kah wah tan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes, I also use hairspray to "set" my pastel and aqua pencil drawings. I spray lightly.

My daughter also sprays on her watercolor illustrations.

Reason is the cost and my view that both does the same job and my drawings are not meant for eternity.
paulfleet
Substantial poster

Postby paulfleet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:37 am

Thank you very much for answering my question. I will do some experiments to find how well cheap firm hold hair spray works and I will report back here. I don't want to spend a lot of money on artist fixative just for sketches but I do wish to keep them. :)
“Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.”~Salvador Dalí
paulfleet
Substantial poster

Postby paulfleet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:29 am

tree house 3.jpg
Tree house fixed with Hair Spray
I have tried two hair sprays one left oily droplets so was useless. The other a very cheap supermarket hair spray (firm hold no perfume) worked as good as any fixative I have ever used. :D
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 am

I use a cheap hairspray (Style) as a fixative for most projects. I apply 2 light coats, making sure it's plain hairspray with no additives.

I have found the biggest difference between pro art grade fixative & cheap hairspray has little to do with the ingredients.... the difference is in the spray nozzle. The higher priced fixative has a better spray nozzle & delivers a consistent finer mist without blobs, spatters, or droplets. So, I purchased a can to use for my best projects & simply switch the nozzle to the hairspray for the less expensive projects.

Hope I've helped. :D
abeha
New poster

Postby abeha » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:15 am

I am going to do some pencil sketches and have heard that you can use hair spray as a fixative. Is this just an urban myth. Have you tried it and does it work, if so what spray would you recommend.

Postby CJBArtworks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:15 pm

I've used hairspray in the past when I couldn't afford the dedicated stuff. I wouldn't recommend it if you're planing on selling your work. A lot of hairsprays have harsh chemicals in them that will yellow the paper and affect colours over time. The stuff isn't archival. If it's only for studies and works you're not planing on selling, it's no biggy. Just know that this stuff can be "unpredictable" at best. Here's a drawing I did back in 1991... You wouldn't know it, but the paper was a slightly warm off-white. Now, it looks like it's been drawn on old Manila paper due to the hairspray. :? Image
artisticmindbyhannah
Substantial poster

Postby artisticmindbyhannah » Sat May 16, 2015 7:32 pm

I have also used it before and it work well for "setting" layers of pencil. Strong hold works the best
Everything will be okay in the end. If its not okay its not the end.

Return to “Art Studio”