To top

Artist paint brushes

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
John Marsdon Watkins
Postaholic

Artist paint brushes

Postby John Marsdon Watkins » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Do your paint brushes get to ware you think you should throw them away . Try this , put A cup of water and a cup of vinigar in a pan ,put on stove and heat up , do not boil .Take off stove place brushes i the hot solutation and soak for a few min. Rinse in cold water.First try, and still stiff , use a stiff brush to loosen and repeat until perfect.
Sheri Wilson
New poster

Re: Artist paint brushes

Postby Sheri Wilson » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks for the brush "tip" John. Knew about the Vinegar but not about the boiling point. I give mine a "spa treatment" now and then with cheap shampoo as well as conditioner and good rinse. I've tried Murphy's Soap that works well too. Good old fashioned Naptha bar soap (laundry soap) is great for the toughest brushes.
Back to painting and neglecting my brushes from a good cleaning. Thanks again.
jacobjackson
New poster

Postby jacobjackson » Fri May 30, 2014 9:12 pm

I will try it out this time with vinegar. I usually use studio soap and glass cleaner to keep my brushes clean. I got some of my most basic tips from here: http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lesso ... nting.html
njgp1960
New poster

Postby njgp1960 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:35 pm

What a great tip, thank you!
John Rivett
Substantial poster

Postby John Rivett » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:55 pm

Will this work with oils? I have 2 fairly expensive brushes that I got as a gift, and for whatever reason they never got cleaned.
emankhan
New poster

Postby emankhan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:42 am

“Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision.”~Salvador Dalí

________

eman
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:22 am

As a former art teacher, I have had to rescue brushes frequently. I brought a commerical brush cleaner from home depot (in the paint department) and it totally saved the brushes.
Happy Brush Saving !
Lorena
artisticmindbyhannah
Substantial poster

Postby artisticmindbyhannah » Sun May 24, 2015 7:24 pm

thank you for the tip!
Everything will be okay in the end. If its not okay its not the end.
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Postby Grandaddyearl » Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 am

John, I find my brushes have remained in pristine shape for over 45 years but then again that was the last time I used them for oils. I use dry brush technique with poster paint, palette knives with oils, and pen and magic marker which I throw away when I'm done.I find this is really the best way to keep my brushes clean. Grandaddyearl

Return to “Art Studio”