To top

Just in a Blah mood can't paint

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Artistview
Passionate poster

Just in a Blah mood can't paint

Postby Artistview » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:47 pm

Anyone ever get in the mood you just can't paint?

I don't know what it is but the past week or so. I just can't bring myself to paint. I go into my studio to paint and I just can't do it I'm like balh I don't want to do this. I'm almost in a depressed mood, but I'm not really.

I've been trying to paint a waterfall for my wife. Because I painted one about 7 or 8 years ago and of course no painting is meant to keep for ever. :) One of my doctors have it in their house. So now she wants a waterfall she can keep. I keep trying to paint it for her, I go into the studio paint the sky and walk out, go back a day or two later and I added some black for a background, a couple days later I tried painting rocks and for get it I don't know what I painted so I walked out of the studio again. I just keep doing it walk into the studio look around and walk out.

As I'm sitting here and I know I should be painting, because summer will be here and I have shows I'll be doing almost every week May thru Sept. and I can't bring myself to get up and paint.

I'm in a slump like I've never been before and I don't know why :( Nothing happened, everything is great my bills are paid, food on the table, all that good stuff.

Before this happened I painted over 200 ACEO-HBE paintings for the art shows. I even had plans for other paintings. But no I don't even want to do them now :(

Maybe if I just don't paint or even think about painting this blah mood will pass.

Well anyway time to play some Lonnie Mack :)
arthur smart
Substantial poster

Re: Just in a Blah mood can't paint

Postby arthur smart » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:47 pm

Yep. I go 1 to 2 years with the "I can't do it" feeling. Then short period of 2 to 3 months of crazy output. Then it's gone again. The cycle had been repeating for 40 years !!! Only advice I can suggest is to write down those random and weird ideas you have for a painting and refer back when the time is right. I scribble my thoughts on bits of paper and stuff the scraps in the back of my wallet. Dream imagery works for me, though often it makes no sense at all !!!
Cartoonman
Substantial poster

Postby Cartoonman » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:00 pm

I lost my Dad recently. And I felt the same way.dident really want to do it.but it's when we have the shit dont feel like it times I found out that's when I have my best thoughts for a painting cheer up its gonna get better. Don 8) 8)
BrokenWingArtStudio
New poster

Postby BrokenWingArtStudio » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 pm

This is totally normal...Art comes from within the soul and sometimes our soul needs to take a little break. I personally have taken numerous breaks,for many reasons and sometimes for no apparent reason. I always find my way back and my creations seem to improve with each break.
It is hard to explain,but sometimes I just feel a gravitational pull away from creating...almost as if the planets were not aligned.
Lorraine Finch
New poster

Postby Lorraine Finch » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:35 am

Thank you all for sharing these posts. I have been struggling very much with this as well. (It's neither the first nor last time I'm sure.) There have been times when it's literally dragged on for years! I could list many reasons or excuses, but they're basically self-inflicted. The only one who is pressing me is 'me', (and I beat myself up over this a lot). The absolute worst part of this is the feeling of being all alone, and that nobody really cares about my passion to create and share my artwork. But now I have all of you and the foundmyself art community to thank for showing me that I am not alone. I can pull up my homepage & see new viewers practically everyday!!
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 am

Thought I was the only one!
I was thinking I lost my mojo and won't get it back.. :lol:

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”