Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

Female anatomy sketch -- crit please?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
WINDOW
New poster
Female anatomy sketch -- crit please?

Postby WINDOW » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Righto, I've never drawn the female nude before, but I've combed through my figure/anatomy book loads of times. I saw a beautiful nude photo and had to draw it.

Soooo, here it is...
(the sketch, that is)

and here's the link to the original photo

I'd like your critique on the anatomy, please!
I've already noticed some things...

-Her right arm is not visible, yes I know... I got lazy and didn't do it :P
-The attempted shading on the torso is weird... does anybody know how I can better accomplish trying to show the lines of the ribcage and ab muscles and stuff?
-I think her boobs are off... I haven't drawn boobs before...
-Her waist is too small?
-She's kind of slightly leaning back... so subtle, I had difficulty drawing that.

Ehehehe, any comments and crits would be good, as well as letting me know what I'm doing well. Thank you very much!
Last edited by WINDOW on Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:16 pm

DA doesn't allow hotlinking, so we can't see your image. Maybe if you uploaded it to the gallery here or used the attach feature on the message board?
WINDOW
New poster

Postby WINDOW » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:41 pm

Weird, I could see it on my comp...
Anyway, I reuploaded it. If you guys still can't see it, let me know!
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:20 pm

:( Nope!
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
WINDOW
New poster

Postby WINDOW » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:26 pm

Whuuuut ;-; I uploaded it to photobuckeeeet...
Sigh, well, here's a link to the dA deviation =\

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40126570
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:49 pm

I can see it now, maybe you have to refresh, Sunny.

Anyway I am by noooooo means good at drawing realistic people, but a few things I noticed with my untrained eyes: The head is too small, her left arm is too big, her breasts are too high (?). Anyway, wish I could help more but there are some great illustrators on this site who hopefully chime in. :D
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:16 pm

My advice would be to get yourself an articulated skeleton to study, or anyway a copy of, for example, Grant's Anatomy... for example, the pelvic bones are quite distorted in your drawing. Copying photos and other 2-d reference material will only get you so far, for drawing the figure you really need to know the structure, what's under the skin.
mtv65
Extreme poster

Ask a friend

Postby mtv65 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:19 am

Ask a friend whether you could practize sketches of her, and maybe if she is a bit shy only work on parts.

LOl I still remember a friend at high school who planned to take an education in art who liked my upper arms and asked to use them as models for drawing practice.

That would in addition to anatomy studies give you lots of practice. If you want more of a study of the muscles ask a person that train a lot because that person will have more clearly defined muscles.

Me, I liked yout sketch for it simplicity in the lines and think you have chosen an interesting photo to use as reference. I think the hip/thigh area is slightly too wide compared to the reference photo. Nothing wrong with that in itself but that makes YOUR lady very pearshaped. Nothing wrong with that shape but a more similar width between shoulders and hips (timeglass) gives a better image balance. All in all I think it is a very good sketch for a person trying out a new topic. :D :D :D LOL wouldn't it be horrible if we got everything perfect the first time we tried it - we then would have nothing left to explore. The very best wishes on your journey exploring female anatomy. Come back and show us your next sketch. I'll be looking out for it :-)

Trine (who can not even draw nice matchstick females)
Life begins at 40, Right? At least my life as an artist did.
WINDOW
New poster

Postby WINDOW » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:44 pm

Thanks everybody for your advice! :D
It was a little bit hard to draw her coz she's at a very angle and leaning back very slightly... yea, so it kinda looks like the portions are distorted upright when she wasn't really upright anyway =\

@hamlet: I can only go so far eyeballing things, skeletal systems included. Would you recommend tracing, or will that do no good?
PAINTSWITHCATS
New poster

Postby PAINTSWITHCATS » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:26 pm

I just wanted to add one thing.
Window, I know you are working on anatomy, and getting the proportions realistic, but I find the irregularities of the proportions in your drawing make a very interesting and dynamic figure. I really like the drawing and I wouldn't change it!!
The best way to learn to draw figures with realistic proportions is to take a class. That way you have immediate feedback. You also gain a sense of the human form as three dimensional, rather than a flat shape.
Also, a good life drawing class will change the way you draw everything...for the better!

Return to “Art critique”