To top

Cell phone pics - real photography?

Digital or traditional, playful or serious. Post your photos here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Cell phone pics - real photography?

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm

What do you guys think - do cell phone photos count as "real" photography? Forget if you consider mine real photography - just in general I mean. ;) Here are some of mine, taken with a Sanyo Katana.

Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

First I must say they aren't the best quality pix but a pinhole camera is only a box with a hole! So it's a moot point in my opinion. The more important question might be "are they art"?
THen again there are folks who won't be convinced that photography of any kind is art.
Art is defined by the artist-n'est pas?
Not much gets through a narrow door or mind!
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, it's a 640x480 VGA resolution camera - obviously not pro-quality, but sometimes - like the pinhole camera - the quality or lack thereof lends itself to the image.

Anyway thanks for the comments :)
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:23 pm

I got so caught up in the question I forgot to mention the pix. I like the first one because the leaf & hand are so pronounced because the ground is monotone basically & they are outstanding (colorwise)!
I also like the busy one with the white towering mass(what is that?)in the bg.
I also like the last one with your pooch in the rear view mirror but I would have cropped a bit from the top, which makes it a little static.
Art in Soul Studios

http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art

The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Sunny wrote:I got so caught up in the question I forgot to mention the pix. I like the first one because the leaf & hand are so pronounced because the ground is monotone basically & they are outstanding (colorwise)!
I also like the busy one with the white towering mass(what is that?)in the bg.
I also like the last one with your pooch in the rear view mirror but I would have cropped a bit from the top, which makes it a little static.

Thanks Sunny. The white mass is the Matterhorn at Disneyland, with the people buzzing by in the foreground.
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:25 pm

yes yes yes. absolutely. used deliberately, they work somewhat as lo-fi recordings in that they seem much more intimate for the appropriate subject matter. unfortunately, like much modern lo-fi recordings, they are usually accepted as disposable.
it does seem pretty hard to me for cell phone pics to garner as much "artistry" as your "i spent 12 hours in the darkroom burning and dodging and perfecting this" photo, but i can easily see it as a more accesible medium for travel logs or grand installations.

one of my favorite bands carries a cell phone with them and everyday update their site with a picture of the day (yesterday it was several rows of huge shark jaws along with somewhat lyrical details of the day.), and they're great for communicating that "instant snapshot" feel.
http://www.underworldlive.com
NuclearDaydream
New poster

Postby NuclearDaydream » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:05 pm

I think it depends on what you are taking the pictures of. You can have a very good camera and just take random snapshots. That, of course, would not be art. People just find it more pleasing to look at better quality images. If all you have is a camera phone then so be it, it's still a camera. If someone's going around with the camera phone just snapping random images then of course that would be art.

I like that second picture very much, although I don't really know what it is, hah.

The picture of the blurred people is very nice and also the picture of the dog (well, the picture of the reflection).
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:18 pm

NuclearDaydream wrote:I think it depends on what you are taking the pictures of. You can have a very good camera and just take random snapshots. That, of course, would not be art. People just find it more pleasing to look at better quality images. If all you have is a camera phone then so be it, it's still a camera. If someone's going around with the camera phone just snapping random images then of course that would be art.

I like that second picture very much, although I don't really know what it is, hah.

The picture of the blurred people is very nice and also the picture of the dog (well, the picture of the reflection).

Thanks for the comments. The second photo is one of those centerpiece candles at a Dos Coyotes Mexican restaurant. :)
NuclearDaydream
New poster

Postby NuclearDaydream » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Oh, I see :D

It's interesting, very abstract
vampiricartist
Substantial poster

Postby vampiricartist » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:29 pm

i think Camera phone photography is real. ^_^ i have some on my phone....well actually it's my boyfriends phone but you know how it goes...what's mine is mine and what's his is mine too ^_^
Attachments
0225071505.jpg
Here's one of my b/f with a negative setting :)

He looks sort of zombieish ^_^
0225071505.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Bow down to me for I am Goddess.

Return to “Photography”