To top

What is "Art" in the 21st Century

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
jeremygrizzle
Substantial poster

What is "Art" in the 21st Century

Postby jeremygrizzle » Wed May 30, 2007 8:19 am

:arrow: I am an art teacher. From time to time, I am asked by students and parents about art in the 21st Century. In my opinion, and what I tell them, art is now multi-media driven. Sure, we can paint, sculpt, or develop...but true "Art" or for that matter "NEW" art has to be hybrid or multimedia.....any thoughts?
Jeremy Grizzle
Artist/Art Teacher, Believer, Blues Musician
andy tetlow
Extreme poster

new kids on the block

Postby andy tetlow » Wed May 30, 2007 8:50 am

i sometimes think that its the simplicity of the way multi-media is available.A lot of kids have access in some form or another to a computer and with some of the programmes they have now, well, its amazing what you can do. dont get me wrong, im not saying that they are any less talented or gifted, most of the digital/multimedia material on this web site are great examples(i scratch my head in wonder sometimes), its just time moves on and how great is it not having brushes to clean! :D
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
otiredroc
Substantial poster

my opinion

Postby otiredroc » Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am

I would like to give my opinion about your question...

I believe that the ART is variety, new diversity, freedom of thought, new ideas and average to pronounce itself...

I believe that the multimedia of a new tool, that in the suitable hands is like the clay, in the hands of the craftsman.
The used means (PC, photoshop, painting on canvas, sculpture, etc) do not make the art.

I believe that Art not only one, because this would leave by it go to others... in the past was wanted to unify the opinions,; but that already is history.
In my opinion, the critical of art of the past, cleared the possibility to us of knowing great artists and to see masterpieces... single because according to them that was not art then.
The art of century 21 DOES NOT HAVE TO COMMIT the SAME ERROR.

----

Me gustar
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed May 30, 2007 12:49 pm

Brother, could this turn out to be a great thread! :P

Jeremy, I really don't doubt what you said about the multi-media driven perspective. I'm sure that is where the money is. But I hope you're not saying that the 'old fashion' ways: painting, sculpture, etc. are no longer Art. Surely you're not, I'm just not quite understanding. :? Right? I LIKE cleaning brushes! :D
Last edited by Gary Dee on Thu May 31, 2007 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
jeremygrizzle
Substantial poster

Postby jeremygrizzle » Thu May 31, 2007 5:43 am

....Maybe I should have better explained myself.....the term multimedia is reference to the singular term "medium".....meaning the materials and/or process of making art. Multimedia would be the use of various forms of "medium" in order to create artwork (not just computer driven art). Do not get me wrong, I still paint...simply paint....and I am certainly not cutting on anyone that works on canvas or clay. However, my personal thought on what "Art" is, is my own opinion granted, but I TRULY feel that art has to have concept, thought, inspiration behind it in order to be considered "Art". What I see a lot of where I am at and where I am from is the ideal of craft as opposed to art. There is a VERY thin line between the two, and open for dicussion.
Jeremy Grizzle

Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu May 31, 2007 1:52 pm

Okey dokey, now I understand what you're talking about much better. (duh) To me 'craft' implies monetary considerations more than creativity, inspiration, depiction, expression, etc. These things may be present in a 'craft', but probably more by error than by intention. I sell a piece every now and then, and most of the time a little of me goes with it. The time (planning, meditation, passion, striving to to the best I can do, pleasing me) doesn't allow me to produce enough, quickly enough, to be a craft that would ever pay for the time and 'blood' spent.
I believe 'Art' is made up of these 'behind the scenes' things. But then who is really capable of determining what Art is or is not. :roll: :wink:

By the way, your avatar is wonderful! Multimedia?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
mjgartistpoet
Extreme poster

Postby mjgartistpoet » Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm

I think all art comes from one place and starts as an idea / thought / feeling that the artist attempts to manifest/create into and through what ever medium be it film, painting, sculpture, computer assisted, poetry, music etc. Each medium can be mixed for example i write poetry which often becomes imagry in my paintings and i do use computers photography etc to aid this if i feel the need. I recently had the idea to paint photo realisticaly a computer screen with images on it as if it were an interactive web site online - the concept being communication. My point is this all art starts in the mind my futher question is how does it get there - perhaps the idea of a muse is not really a far fetched or romantic idea - many artists say they dont know where their ideas come from and that thay are merely vehicles for them and as i say the outlet ie medium can be anything and is inter changeable and mixable.
jeremygrizzle
Substantial poster

Postby jeremygrizzle » Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm

I couldn't agree with you more! :lol: There has to be muse.....of recent I have been studying Greek Myth again...read up on the Muses.....you might find your own! :!:
Jeremy Grizzle

mjgartistpoet
Extreme poster

Postby mjgartistpoet » Thu May 31, 2007 5:36 pm

I am a lover of myth and it is subtley interwoven in many of my works - I particularly like Egyptian Myth and Celtic Myth - I draw upon many things within myths - Myths are rich in information and if read intuitivly reveal so much of our own natures - Also they draw in Astronomy which i love since the advent of Hubble - my favourite example is as follows - In Egyptian Myth Isis is represented as Sirius which is the brightest star we see with our eyes being only 7 or so light years from us - Isis / Sirius in the myth is the mother of our Sun who is called Horus - Her (Sirius's) brother and lover consort is Osiris who is represented as Orion the bright winter constellation.The Egyptians also said that once a soul has run the race of purity and truly evolved it becomes born as a star in Orion.The amazing thing is that in Orion is the closest stellar nursery to our Sun (Orions Sword)and is crammed full of stars in the process of being born -How did they know this perhaps the muses told them for we are only now able to view this amazing sight / fact through modern telescopes -I wont ramble on but wish to point out again about mixed media ie art myth astronomy
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu May 31, 2007 6:10 pm

Thats interesting 'Poet'. I have studied Indian Mythology (George Cambell) pretty thoroughly and my Grandfather taught me a lot as well. This is where 90% of my 'motivation' comes from. So I certainly agree with your statements on Myths. :)
The stars, our Sun & Moon play an important part of Indian myths, too.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Return to “Visual arts”