Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

To Critique or Not to Critique?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
To Critique or Not to Critique?

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 am

Oxford American Dictionary:
cri-tique
(kri-teek) n. a critical essay or review. critique v. to discuss critically.
crit-ic (krit-ik) n. 1. a person who finds fault with something. 2. a person who forms and expresses judgments about books or art or musical works etc.
crit-i-cise (krit-i-siz) 1. to find fault with. 2. to examine critically, to express judgments about.

Under every piece in our main or individual galleries there is a place (optional) in which to make nice comments. They 'should' be nice comments. If you can't say anything nice, you needn't say anything at all.

Art Critique is suppose to be a place in which to learn more about your art.
Be it a beginner or a seasoned veteran artist, "it looks great" is not helping anyone. Perhaps it boosts their ego (and we all like that) but it is Not constructive to their art. Positive comments about certain aspects may be helpful, but no piece is perfect and critiques are what helps people learn and progress, not constant praise.
One who posts a piece of their work in Art Critique should understand this and not let feelings get in the way of honest 'constructive criticism'. Indeed, they should be thankful that someone is trying to help. That is supposed to be why they put it there! If one puts a piece in Art Critique to hear more praise?......well, that's the question!
What do YOU think?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
UltraParadise
Postaholic

Re: To Critique or Not to Critique?

Postby UltraParadise » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm

I completely agree.

Perhaps there should be some requirement to posters as to "why is it nice, beautiful and why do they like it?" hehehe..

Sorry about my fit before, I guess what I wanted to say is that I cannot change past drawings only future (take stuff into consideration).

My next piece going up so.. WOOT WOOT!
*..I Create Worlds On Paper..*
http://ultraparadise.livejournal.com/
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm

I totally agree, Gary.

However, I wanted to explain why I sometimes' say.. "I really like this piece, & have no constructive criticism to offer, IMO it's great the way it is." in the Art Critic thread.

I reply because I want them to know that I did look at their piece with the intention of honest critique, and either I found nothing constructive to add, or I knew so little about the particular style that I did not feel qualified, etc. This lets the artist know that I did try to help critic their work, and my honest opinion, I don't do it to "play favs" or blow "smoke up their butts." :lol:

I think it might be harder on the artist to have their work 'ignored' than 'critiqued' - so I do let them know I looked, I know that's how I feel when I have my work on the thread for critique.

As always... Hope I've helped! :D
mentalpony
Postaholic

Postby mentalpony » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 pm

I think sometimes people feel like they're going to offend someone, even when they're offering constructive critiszm. People just need to understand that when you post something and ask for critique, not everyone will have something "nice" to say about it. And those who don't can either choose just not to say anything, or say it with a positive perspective. A mature and professional person would likely appreciate this, though some will never see another's point of view, and insist that their way is the always the best way.

I would never flat out tell someone if I didn't like their work, because that's just a matter of opinion, however if I feel that something could be added or changed to a piece to improve it in a general sense, then why be afraid to offer it? No one will learn if other people aren't honest in their critiques. If someone's offended, then they really have no business posting their stuff, since it would then seem they're only posting it to fish for compliments. That's what the gallery is for.

I also don't pretend to know anything about a media I don't personally entertain, so I can't offer much in the way of critisizm to one who paints since I'm not familiar with painting techniques, but I would tell that person whether or not I think the composition, placement, color use and overall aesthetics works for that particular piece. If a picture of a dog makes the poor dog look like his face is riddled with tumors, I wouldn't say sorry, your dog looks deformed. But I wouldn't just say hey, nice picture, either. I believe there's a level of professionalism and tact that can get a point across without hurting someone's feelings.
" If I could see it better just using my eyes... I'd do it better to start with" - SharsArt
"If I have not love, I have nothing"
http://www.mentalponyportraits.com/
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:20 pm

I had it drummed into me at University what the word Critique meant, and I hope my comments left under peoples work are helpful.
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:04 pm

SharsArt wrote:However, I wanted to explain why I sometimes' say.. "I really like this piece, & have no constructive criticism to offer, IMO it's great the way it is." in the Art Critic thread.
This lets the artist know

This lets the artist know: "you really like this piece...and it's great the way it is". Seriously.......Does that help them?

mentalpony wrote:I think sometimes people feel like they're going to offend someone, even when they're offering constructive critiszm.

Exactly!......
'Art Critique' is becoming more like a popularity contest.......people acting like politicians afraid to say something that might "offend" someone. And people posting their pieces so they can hear all the good news.
It should be more like a 'work shop', not a 'beauty shop'! Its not called "Get some Praise"!!! It's not called "Art Praise"! It's called Art Critique.
And there is a reason!
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
jmckelvin
Postaholic

Postby jmckelvin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 am

When I feel like I know all the faults of my work, and really don't want the critique I post it in the visual arts section. Then I'm just hoping for those "It's great comments" because I just want the boost of self esteem regarding the work because I've already torn myself down. When it's in critique I try to find at least one constructive thing but also find something nice to say as well. If I can't do both of those I just tend to leave it be.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:30 am

jmckelvin wrote:When I feel like I know all the faults of my work, and really don't want the critique I post it in the visual arts section. Then I'm just hoping for those "It's great comments" because I just want the boost of self esteem regarding the work because I've already torn myself down.

Bravo! An honest, open, and insightful statement. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

captainduh
Passionate poster

Postby captainduh » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:48 am

I have never had a problem pointing out the problems of another artist's work. I can actually teach my artist eye by looking at other works and finding weaknesses in them. You learn the valuable and overlooked skill of observation this way. If you put your work on this board then you expect to get something constructive.

People waste my time with "It looks great!" Really? If it looks great then why doesn't someone buy it? I need to know what it needs. You can provide a compliment but I need to know what it is you like (color, mood, composition, contrast, depth, movement, subject, form, style). The truth is that "The Blue Boy" is great, "The Last Supper" is great, "The Night Watch" is great, but my work - needs work. I cannot hope to become the next Gainsborough, Da Vinci, or Rembrandt if I do not know what people like and don't like about my work.

Art is an infinite room of knowledge and criticism. Check your egos at the door.
"I have seen enough of this world. Paint me a new one!"
YouTube: RyanWilliamsArt
Facebook: The Art of Ryan G. Williams
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 pm

captainduh wrote:Art is an infinite room of knowledge and criticism. Check your egos at the door.

Thank you, Capt. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Return to “Art critique”