To top

New Painting: Zebra Code

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Jasper
Substantial poster

New Painting: Zebra Code

Postby Jasper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 pm

The stencil only took an hour or so to cut and I'm very pleased with the result. As with all my paintings, this piece is for sale in any quantity. Comments are welcome, thanks for looking.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: New Painting: Zebra Code

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 pm

How about posting it here? Then we don't have to go back and forth.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:11 pm

Jasper,

I really like this piece. A very creative concept . . . using the bar code which has all the identifying information (likewise, individual zebra's are uniquely identifiable by their stripes). Like a snowflake, no two are exactly alike. The zebra itself is an interesting subject which really works well for this piece... it is known for it's 'stubborness,' (much like a mule), yet it is portrayed in a clearly 'black & white" scheme (encompassing the extremes."

As a critique, the only distraction I see is that there is some 'overspray' present that drags at the viewers' eye. Perhaps, using a different stencil material, or a higher mask would eliminate this slight problem.

Overall, count me a 'fan' of this work... good job!

Hope I've helped. :D
lookingatthebigsky
Extreme poster

Postby lookingatthebigsky » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:41 am

Very clever. Barcode meets Zebra.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:18 am

I agree with Sharla about the 'overspray'. It takes away from an otherwise outstanding piece of art. The concept is brilliant with the 'bar code'. (Seems everything has one these days.)
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
sorinapostolescu
Extreme poster

Postby sorinapostolescu » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 am

Hi,

Very interesting! :wink: :o
I will not be an ordinary man, because I have a right to be extraordinary. (Peter O'Toole)
Sorin
Jasper
Substantial poster

Postby Jasper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Yes, overspray is a limitation of stencil artwork, the only ways I know of to eliminate it completely are to cut the stencil out of cardboard (a big pain for small pieces) or use a spray adhesive to attach the stencil to whatever you're spraying on (dramatically decreasing the lifespan of a stencil). For me it's a small price to pay though. Thanks again for the comments people!
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Jasper wrote:Thanks for the feedback everybody. Yes, overspray is a limitation of stencil artwork, the only ways I know of to eliminate it completely are to cut the stencil out of cardboard (a big pain for small pieces) or use a spray adhesive to attach the stencil to whatever you're spraying on (dramatically decreasing the lifespan of a stencil). For me it's a small price to pay though. Thanks again for the comments people!

Frisket can be a bit pricey, but it's flexible, reuseable, & comes in different amounts of tack. Frisket will outlive many cardboard or cardstock stencils, & they are also repositionable, & see through. One of the great advantages is that they are just thick enough to keep from "fluttering" as long as you spray directly into them, so they virually eliminate 'overspray' & 'under leakage.'

An airbrush trick I use is to 'laminate' or "clear coat' the masks or stencils... makes them last 3 times longer & work 10 times better!

UltraParadise
Postaholic

Postby UltraParadise » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Interesting! :)
*..I Create Worlds On Paper..*
http://ultraparadise.livejournal.com/
Jasper
Substantial poster

Postby Jasper » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:17 am

SharsArt wrote:Frisket can be a bit pricey, but it's flexible, reuseable, & comes in different amounts of tack. Frisket will outlive many cardboard or cardstock stencils, & they are also repositionable, & see through. One of the great advantages is that they are just thick enough to keep from "fluttering" as long as you spray directly into them, so they virually eliminate 'overspray' & 'under leakage.'

An airbrush trick I use is to 'laminate' or "clear coat' the masks or stencils... makes them last 3 times longer & work 10 times better!

Wow I did a quick google search and found that Frisket looks perfect for my purposes! Thank you for the tip, I will definitely be using this stuff for future work.

Return to “Art critique”