To top

Abstract Ocean

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
GabeGreens
Substantial poster

Abstract Ocean

Postby GabeGreens » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some feedback, suggestions, and comments regarding my newest piece of artwork. After working on many small drawings, sketches, and studies, I came to a larger 18 by 24 (I know not huge, but for me its bigger than what im used to) to really exercise an abstract that brings out what ive always been fascinated with: adapting, flowing and blending. How the world can be so composed of so many entirely different elements, yet in the end flow together, blend among itself and ultimately adapt all those elements to each other to create a single entity. That is what I try to bring towards this drawing. I was also inspired by the colors and motion of the ocean, hence the pallet and the title. Right now Im out of town and have no access to some equipment, so I do warn that the photo is rather....I guess you could say bad. Not to mention I got the paper out of a very large sketchbook and therefore have to live with the spiral edge until I can use a proper paper cutter. So here it is:

I very much appreciate any further comment.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Re: Abstract Ocean

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:07 pm

wow great use of the colors and well drawn, there is a lot to look at though but all in all very nice.
GabeGreens
Substantial poster

Postby GabeGreens » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Shaun Kennedy wrote:wow great use of the colors and well drawn, there is a lot to look at though but all in all very nice.

Thanks! Do you think it might have been a beter piece if it were simpler with less things going on? Im used to working on a smaller scale, So I might have tried to fit as much into this one drawing.
Nicholas Qtheartist
New poster

Postby Nicholas Qtheartist » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:34 pm

love the picture, the use of color, dark yet not ominous. love the use of shapes in it too. :D
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:03 pm

That is what i am thinking. i do think a few less objects in it. right now at least for me, when i look it i am just overwhelmed with colors and lines and angels its hard for me to even look at it for long hurts my eyes. scale back on the amount of objects you have and i think it will be perfect the next go around.

But to start of very good work. I would stick with the same colors though they work great together.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:04 am

Shaun Kennedy wrote:when i look it i am just overwhelmed with colors and lines and angels its hard for me to even look at it for long hurts my eyes.

That just about sums up my opinion as well. (Next time leave out the kitchen sink.)
And I would try & find a cutter as soon as possible for that edge.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:45 am

i think he plans to remove the frill on the end but that gives me an idea, when you try again plan to have a shape at the edges then cut out border out around the shapes so they stick off the page
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 pm

for the time being until you find a paper cutter, you could also just crop the photo so we don't have to look at it. :wink:
As far as composition goes, it is busy yes, but is it meant to be busy? Something can be busy if that is the intention of the piece. If you are second guessing that, then maybe it should not be as busy, since the piece itself did not ask for it. . . .or did it? Next time, ask it!
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
GabeGreens
Substantial poster

Postby GabeGreens » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Haha, sorry about the end there. Once I get back home Ill make sure to take care of that ;) Ill see what I can do digitally though. And yeah, I already started on a new drawing. This time, I intend to keep a similar look yet bring forth some more focus to keep it from getting too busy.
Honestly, with this one, I did have plans of making it relatively busy. I was looking at it with the idea of a an ocean view, with bright colors yet a a dark tone. But I also wanted to capture the sheer variety in ocean life. And while I am rather happy on how I portrayed that, looking back at it and reading some critiques, I believe I may have gone a little more towards the excessive side.
But thanks to all of you for your opinions. Im sure they will help me with future projects.
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:24 pm

thank you for addressing my 'intentionality' comment. - because really, that is what it all boils down to, don't you think? Putting the technicality of a piece aside, the real reason for the creation of the piece is more important.
Some of van Gogh's paintings are technically lacking, yet they portray the artist's real intention and passion - so that the technical aspect ceases to matter in that perspective.
I am not suggesting that your piece is lacking in any way, even if some think that it is "busy" or not. Let's face it - is any artist truly and completely satisfied with their 'finished' piece? DaVinci is quoted to say: "a painting is never finished, it is abandoned".
So maybe instead of asking if anyone thinks that your piece is 'busy' or not, say that this is a painting about business. . . because that is the intentionality. If it were minimalist, then so be it as well.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition

Return to “Art critique”