Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

tea at the swamp & feeding the dog

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
leighquigg

tea at the swamp & feeding the dog

Postby leighquigg » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 am

hello, i wanted to post this for critique, due to this gets the most response from people that view it in the flesh, and some art people around where I live have told me to focus more on just plane ink work. (nobody tells me what to do though, i'll allways do what i feel like painting at the time.) But I done this with no clue what it was going to end up like, I started with the crocodile and was trying to go for some sort of 2d look. And yes if you think its shit, please say so.ImageImageImage
Last edited by leighquigg on Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: tea at the swamp

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Actually Leigh, I think this is a magnificent piece of work! (I like the brighter one.)

If I see anything "off", it would be just a tad too low (more space needed) at the bottom. But that can easily be fixed with framing.

There is so much going on, one can spend hours having a great time! And in my opinion it is very well done technically. So no real critique from me; I believe it is amazing!

Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:09 pm

Brilliant work. I love it.
The composition, the style, the contrasting black/whites.. all good.
What medium did you use on the background?
[the border around does seem tiny, but if it's at least half an inch space, then matting & framing would not be a problem].
leighquigg

Postby leighquigg » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanking you Gary and Michelle, (i love a free lesson)

The pic at the bottom was me playing with photoshop and yeah i made it look worse when i see the 2 together, i should just crop and thats it.

It is too low at the bottom and that was a real stupid mistake to make, seeing i did the crock first and would have had a nice clean fresh head when i started.

Ahh it was done in black indian ink with dip pens, and the white is just the papper (archers thick water colour paper smooth). background was done with two small brushes a real small one to go in and around the objects (that was no fun, but not everything in art should be enjoyable?).

there is about a 1cm gap from the edge, (should i leave more? I dont know anything about framing but some day in the future me or sombody might want to frame my work)

Thanks again, i have learned 2 things, (better position and leave more of a edge)
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 am

leighquigg wrote: (that was no fun, but not everything in art should be enjoyable?).

I couldn't agree more! There are always those very trying times that get you from one point of 'Labor' to a respectable finished product. There really are no fruits without labor.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
jamie hartley
Substantial poster

Postby jamie hartley » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:17 am

this is very captivating. how big is it? Wow ink would be hard. you can't fix mistakes! or can you?

very well done. i'd hang it on my wall :)
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:34 pm

Your style reminds me a lot of Aubrey Beardsley, who illustrated books by such notable writers as Edgar Poe and Oscar Wilde back in the Art Nouveu era. (That's intended as a compliment.)
leighquigg

Postby leighquigg » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:30 pm

thanks Jamie and Carson, And yes, I find there is not much room for error with black ink, but its a good feeling finishing a picture with ink that your happy with. I did spill a cup of coffee on this picture at the top, but was just plane lucky it was going to be covered up in black.Imageas you can see, im not to tidy, but im going to move out of the garden shed, and set up a room inside, and try to keep it more clean.

wow, Carson thanks a billion, never heard of Beardsley before and after checking out your link, I did a google search, and really liked what I seen, joining this site has paid off.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:38 am

leighquigg wrote: joining this site has paid off.

It always does! Image
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm

:D I couldn't have put it better myself, Wingo, you old miscreant. Hey, come on over to Ye Pub and I'll buy you a drink.

Return to “Art critique”