To top

Anybody have any suggestions?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Christy Boyce
Passionate poster

Anybody have any suggestions?

Postby Christy Boyce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 am

Hi everybody, I have been working on these watercolors for about a year now, on and off. First I would like to explain them. These are a gift for my husbands grandmother. We have four girls who are named Rose, Violet, Magnolia, and Dahlia. So this is why I have these random flowers. The last one I just started. Our newest daughter Dahlia was born about 6 months ago, and we had no idea she was going to be a girl, or which flower name we were going to give her. So that is why it was not done the same time as the others. I tried to figure out a background that would go with all of the flowers, But something about them all bothers me and I don't know what it is. It could be the fact that I've been working on these for awhile and I'm getting burnt out on them. But I think there is something missing or just not quite right with them. (maybe the shadowing). I have looked at them over and over, but I still can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Attachments
dahlia (800x543).jpg
magnolia1 (800x542) (640x434) (600x407).jpg
violet1 (800x540) (640x432) (600x405).jpg
rose1 (800x537) (640x430) (600x403).jpg
"If you want to bake a cake, you gotta bust a few heads."
-Wilbur Cobb-
Huggertwo1
Postaholic

Re: Anybody have any suggestions?

Postby Huggertwo1 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 am

The flowers have depth and realism
If you are going to do something do it right or don't do it at all.
http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/index.php?cat=32940
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:19 am

I like the vine-pattern under the flowers, but i'm thinking it could do really good with leaves as well [in a different shade of green from the vine]- even two leaves for each flower might be good enough.
It's what I think is missing...
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 am

The flowers strike me as beautifully rendered but I did not understand the background. The green patterns strike me more like a trap that the flower has crept through. Just simple leaves, stalks, vines and open space, IMO would enhance and frame the flowers more harmoniously
Carol McNeeley
New poster

Postby Carol McNeeley » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:06 pm

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby. The flowers seem beautiful. Watercolor is not an easy medium. Leaves may have helped, but I don't think you can add them at this point without starting over. I like the pattern in your backgrounds. It seems like green string over grey stone. They tie the 3 finished pieces together And add interest without overwhelming the flowers. I think your grandmother will love this gift.
Christy Boyce
Passionate poster

Postby Christy Boyce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks everyone, I had thought about adding leaves. I decided not to because all of the flowers leaves are so different for one another, (Rose leaves are very different from big Magnolia tree leaves) and I didn't want to add generic leaves, I would rather try to use the real leaves. What about adding a shadow behind the flowers? Do you think that would help or would it make everything too dark?
-Wilbur Cobb-
Christy Boyce
Passionate poster

Postby Christy Boyce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Also, Any suggestions on what color I should make the Dahlia?
-Wilbur Cobb-
nandesign
New poster

Postby nandesign » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:43 am

too much said
Last edited by nandesign on Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:18 am

Good job on the flowers, and thank you for taking the time to communicate your intent with us. So many artists don't, or cant. :D

My advice, for whatever it's worth: Get rid of the green spaghetti.
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Very nice paintings. I love the story behind them :)

I would suggest adding a stronger light source to each (and in turn a stronger shadow). Personally I would use a yellow light and a purple shadow as I feel this would help make the colors pop.

I like the green vines in the background. I feel like it makes the paintings consistent with each other so they feel more like a series and less like random unrelated paintings. Also, the simplicity of them makes the flowers stand out more. I think the vines were a good call.

-bd

Return to “Art critique”