HTML5: Overview and Advantages
February 10, 2020
Today?EUR(TM)s Websites and Web Applications must be Web browser and Mobile browser friendly. You call it Mobile Responsive Websites and Applications. To build Mobile Responsive Websites, HTML5 is the required language. It was first released in 2008, and as per the recommendations from the World Wide Web Consortium, it was updated in 2014. HTML5 has interoperable implementations. It is an improved version of the Mark-up language which introduces the Application Programming Interface for complex Web Applications. Into HTML5 Video, Audio, and Canvas elements were added. HTML5 supports Scalable Vector Graphics content and MathML for mathematical formulae. The API's and Document Object Modelling are the fundamental parts of HTML5 now. Experts initially compared HTML5 with Flash. While many browsers did not support Flash and on mobile devices, developers were not able to generate the desired output, HTML5 was introduced to suffice the requirement. Hence, you will see a lot of Flash capabilities in HTML5.
New API?EUR(TM)s which are being supported by HTML5
- Editable Content
- Web Messaging
- Drag & Drop
Advantages of HTML5
- Improved Code: HTML5 uses a more comfortable semantic structure, and the code pattern looks much neater and cleaner. HTML5 code removes all unnecessary DIV tags and a lot of not worthy attributes, which makes the entire code developer-friendly and easy for commenting & documentation.
- Better Semantics: In HTML5, the codes are very much standardized. Hence, the Semantic value of the Web pages increases while the overall purpose is easily met.
- Elegant Forms: HTML5 comes with different types of text inputs, search, and different AWT elements that are multi-purpose.
- Consistency: HTML5 code is much more consistent than HTML as with the growing needs of interactive properties in the Websites and Web Applications, the elements have been introduced in HTML5. HTML5 needs much fewer lines of codes, and it is Developer friendly for this reason.
- Better Accessibility: Most of the Server-Side scripting languages and frameworks are compatible with HTML5. Due to the availability of a large pool of elements in HTML5, embedding Server-Side scripting languages becomes comfortable with improved UI/UX output.
- Availability of enormous elements: When you create a Web page with long forms, data input fields, discussion boards, embedded videos, embedded audios, page transition, HTML5 works the best for you.
- Offline Application Cache: Caching is an action performed by the browsers to load your page correctly. Different browsers have different abilities for the Caching. When you are not connected to the internet, and the browser was unable to cache the page correctly, you won't be able to view the desired page. HTML5 comes with an easy solution to this. Here, at the time of coding, developers can define which files need to be cached. Due to this, pages are loaded much faster in the browser. It increases the offline capability of your Website, and it also pays less load on the server.
- Client-Side Database: Cookies were responsible for tracking unique user data. Hence, cookie data used to be always added to every HTTP request header. It led to longer response times, and it was much required to reduce the size of the cookie. With the introduction of localStorage and sessionStorage, in HTML5, these replace the requirements of the cookies. It enables you to store the structured data temporarily.
- Geo-location Support: Geo-location is a new simplified API that has been included in HTML5. It helps you find & locate your device anywhere in the world. In most of the Social Networking or Communication based Web or Mobile Applications, this feature is gaining immense popularity.
There are many more advantages of HTML5, and hence it becomes an inevitable front-end development preference for the customers and the developers as well. And with the high demand of Mobile-friendly applications these days, HTML5 is earning enormous popularity. It has a great community and codebase support, too, along with a massive repository of sample codebase with the desired visual outputs. So, while your developers get started with HTML5, they would never fall short of the codebase assistance.
Also Read:- 10 Best PHP Frameworks For Web Development.